Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help experienced mamas. I'm worried.<br><br>
Ds is 21 months and has never been sick. He had one minor ear infection back in April that cleared up without antibiotics and a couple of mild colds but that's been it.<br><br>
Since last Monday eve he hasn't been himself. Actually, Monday eve he had a temp of 100.8. I gave him his bath and he went to bed. He woke up Tues with no fever but was extremely fussy and clingy and had a reduced appetite. He is getting two teeth and I attributed it to that. So all day Tues he was like this and Wed too.<br><br>
Then Thurs at around noon I noticed he felt warm and he had a temp of 101.9. It's Saturday afternoon and he still has a temp. I've been giving him Tylenol several times a day and it always brings his temp down, but when it wears off the fever comes right back.<br><br>
I can tell he is miserable. He isn't sleeping well, very restless. Also, won't eat much of anything, which is unusual for him. He is drinking plenty of fluids, thank God, but he's never been sick like this.<br><br>
I did take him to his ped and his ears and throat are fine. He has no rash or any other symptoms I can put my finger on.<br><br>
I'm hoping this is just a virus, but how long do things like this last? I feel so sorry for him.<br><br>
I apologize because I have no experience with sick kids.<br><br>
TIA,<br>
lisa

·
Registered
726 Posts
....it was a cakewalk with the proper nutrition.<br><br>
Please go over to the Vax forum and search for FEVER.<br><br>
You should find a great post by Hilary on the importance of it.<br><br>
IMO, fever is part of the body's immune mechanism and should not be messed with until it gets to about 105.<br><br>
My son's fever reached 103.4 during his measles, but by the end his immune system had the situation so in control that he barely got a rash at the end-- very light, limited to his chest and back-- no face and limbs. See "convince me to skip MMR" over at Vax for full story.<br><br>
Breastmilk, Vit.A, Vit. C , goodpapa's probiotic yogurt (probiotic yogurt is especially good if you're no longer breastfeeding as it enhances a baby's ability to produce ImmunoglobulinA in their gut.) No matter what your son has, whether viral or bacterial, the above "medicine" would be good for him.<br><br>
Even if my son's fever had reached 105, I would have used cool compresses to lower it and not drugs.<br><br><br>
At 21 months it's definitely time for him to experience some illness.<br><br>
There is no better way for the immune system to strengthen than through function.<br><br><br><br>
Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food,<br>
(Hippocrates)<br><br><br>
Ray

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
It could just be his teeth coming in causing the temp, loss of apetite, and clinginess. Or it coyuld be a mild illness. Either way, I would hold off on the tylenol. The temp is not a big deal and often fevers help rid the body of an illness.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses.<br><br>
Luckily he is feeling much better today, it seems. He actually has eaten a thing or two and hasn't had any fever since 6am.<br><br>
Yes, Ray, I've been on the vax forum although I rarely post. Actually we are non-vaxers ourselves. I've read thououghly Hilary's thoughts on Tylenol.<br><br>
I did choose to use some Tylenol with this illness. His fever would climb to a little over 103 at bedtime and I just didn't feel comfortable putting him to bed (even though we co-sleep) with a fever that high, especially since I know most fevers climb through the night. I also think rest is important for the immune system to function properly and without some fever relief he wouldn't have slept. That's just me tho, but thanks for the thoughts.<br><br>
I hate to see him sick. He looks so pitiful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts