Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my son, 4.5months, has been fussy in the evenings just before going into his long stretch of sleep. We've tried lots of things to help him and many nights the only thing that works is to give a bottle (either of EBM or formula if I haven't been able to pump enough milk). I'm confused by all of this?!?! I only work once a week, so he only gets the bottle during the day one time a week. Today,for example, he and I were basically home all day and he nursed whenever he wanted and it was no problem. Then 8:30 pm hits and he's acting tired, so I let him nurse and he did for awhile but then bounced on and off the breast and was crying. We tried all our other methods to calm him and nothing worked for long and he wouldn't fall asleep. He then took the bottle like he hadn't had anything to eat all day!!! Is there any truth to lower milk supply at night? Or is he just too tired to do the "work" for breastfeeding and prefers the easy flow of the bottle???? Any thoughts would be welcome...

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
sounds like hes getting over tired (ds does the same thing when hes overtired), try feeding him earlier and having him go to bed earlier. Also, to prevent any further nipple confusion and drop in supply, stop using the bottle when you are home.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your comments. I think you are both right that he's overtired. I'm not sure what to do, however, when he does this right from waking up in the late evening? I appreciate the online reference as I didn't know about that site and didn't know about breast compression...thnks for your thoughts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts