Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any of you MWs have an opinion about this... I would like to refuse the GTT, and I have read up on it a bit and feel pretty comfortable doing so. I actually didn't go to get the one-hour test done two weeks ago when I was 'supposed' to, and at my appt with my MW a week ago she did not mention it. I imagine it's just wishful thinking to assume she's forgotten about it
so I'm wondering how any of y'all feel about the test and how you'd feel about a client refusing it?

Most recently I read this article:
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,9z3m,00.html
by Henci Goer that talks about the test and has a lot of great references. Would it be ok to give her the reference to back up my desire to refuse? I don't want to give them impression that I think she's ill-informed, only that I'm *not* ill-informed!

I really did forget about getting to the one-hour til it was too late, although my psychologist husband would probably have something to say about that
(we are with family in another state for two weeks for my brother's wedding, that's what I mean by 'too late').

One of my main reasons for not wanting the test, even before I began researching the issue, was that all three of my mom's pregnancies and both of mine prior to this one, we each had a too-high result on the one-hour but came back fine on the three-hour. Where I live now, in NY, you have to go to a lab to have the test done, and I have two little kids and a husband in grad school that can't be home to watch the little ones during the day, so if I do need a three-hour it will be a HUGE inconvenience, and I feel like it will be a waste of time given the inaccuracy of the test AND the fact that I have a history of 'failing' the one-hour but doing fine on the three-hour.

Any opinions out there? I'd love to hear what some other MWs think about this.

TIA!

Heidi

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I refused it and got dumped by my homebirth MEDwife. Best thing that happened the whole pregnancy
It meant I went and found a real midwife.

-Angela

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
"You don't have to convince anyone of anything. You just tell them what they can and cannot do."

This quote brought to you by a pediatric surgeon.

It applies here because, you can just say, I won't be doing that test. I don't have any signs of diabetes, so I do not feel it's relevant.

William's Obstetrics says something to the effect of: "Gestational diabetes is a diagnosis looking for a disease."

mv

1 - 3 of 3 Posts