Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-Posted on Health and Healing-Allergies<br><br>
hi there,<br><br>
I'm sure there's no magic answer but still have to ask. HOW do I handle my birthday cake lovin toddler who is on a dairy/soy/egg elimination diet right now at a party on Saturday?<br><br>
I'm planning to bring a vegan cake with us so she can have cake, but I suspect she will want "that one!" and be heartbroken.<br><br>
I told her about her friend's party, and pretty much within 5 minutes she was asking "what's on that cake? what on top?" etc. She loves the decorations and the big cake reveal. She's already hyping up for it.<br><br>
She doesn't get sweets very often at all at our house. So its a big deal for her I guess.<br><br>
Just wondering if there are any other tips from mamas who have BTDT. Did you leave before the cake? Bring your own cake? How did you explain why they couldn't have it?<br><br>
I know it sounds dramatic, but I feel sensitive about making DD feel left out of this special thing.<br><br>
XOXO<br>
Beth

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
It might be fun to make frosting and have her decorate her vegan cake with as much of the tube (or plastic bag) of frosting as possible... google vegan frosting! You can make it with hazelnut milk or rice milk, and coconut oil... Perhaps you can ask the host to put dd's cake with the other cake so it is served in the same manner as the other pieces of cake.<br><br>
edit: as far as explaining why she couldn't have it, just explain that there are ingredients in the cake that she can't eat (at her friend's) but that is why she has this special cake...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I know I've seen "natural" sprinkles at all the health foods stores around here... maybe they have some at the stores near you and they *might* be ok for her to eat? Maybe it would help if SHE got to decorate her own special cake?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Maybe tell her that her tummy gets sick from that kind of cake which is why she gets her special cake, or something similar that is age appropriate.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ds has a dairy allergy, so we're going to be facing this. So far, he's been completely fine with getting his own special treat. He knows that daddy/his cousins/everyone else eats foods he can't. At any rate, we love the Moosewood 6-minute chocolate cake, which is vegan. For the couple times we've done this, I've either made a cupcake or a mini-cake in a silicone pan I can take along. If you're worried about the other cake being more fun-looking, you can always bring a little baggie of homemade icing, cut a little hole in the corner, and let your ds go to town decorating in the moment.<br><br>
Let us know how it goes! I'm not looking forward to this new phase of allergies.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This recipe is what I used for my DS when we were dairy-free:<br><br><a href="http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Brownies/Detail.aspx" target="_blank">http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchin...es/Detail.aspx</a><br><br>
For his birthday I made it into a two layer cake (leaving out the nuts and the icing) and it turned out very very good--and a little healthier than the average cake since it has zucchini in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts