Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-posted in Parenting

In two weeks, DS and I are going to Mexico so that he can meet his grandparents and his 100's of cousins, aunts and uncles down there. Until recently, I've been feeling pretty calm about the whole thing... I've been reading up on plane travel with a toddler, safety measures, etc. But, now, all of a sudden, I'm getting a little panicky.

The problem is that DS is *very* attached to DH. A month ago, we visited my parents w/o DH and, by the third day, it had almost become a mantra: "papa, papa, papa..." We actually came back a day early because both my "boys" were missing each other something terrible. Since then, DS can't bear to see his papa walking away from him and he's been much clingier (not my favorite word, but you know what I mean...)

We'll be in Mexico for eight days. I'm so worried that this is going to be traumatic for DS. What can I do to make this less stressful for him?
Any advice/perspective is welcome...

·
Registered
282 Posts
you can use a lot of the things that we use when husbands are deployed, etc. Have him read stories and play them to him, make a video, bring pictures, something of dad's, etc.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Your child may not be old enough for this, but I thought I'd throw it out there. We use "number chains" to help DS understand how long something will be. I started with an advent one for last Christmas. I just make a paper chain with a number on each link and let DS take one link off each night. When he gets the last link, the next day is whatever he's been waiting for. . . . Christmas, Baba comes home, we go home, etc. This worked with DS at 2 1/2 years, but I don't know if it would have worked any younger.

Sorry I don't have any other advice. Good luck!
Catherine

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, mamas! arismom1029, I particularly appreciate the suggestion of bringing pictures, etc. My SIL scrapbooked a "children's book" all about our family that would be great for this. I guess I've just been debating whether this would make DS dwell more on his papa's absense rather than less. He's so young! I'd be curious to know more about your experience with toddlers and their deployed papas...

crl, number chains might be a little complicated for DS though I may just do one for my sanity!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts