Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't feel like I've been being very proactive about my birth control. I don't want to get pregnant until my son is at least 2 (he's 6 months now) and I'm breastfeeding, so I don't know how effective charting would be for me...<br><br>
I'm considering it though, considering I know a lot of women who've gotten pregnant while nursing.<br><br>
We do use condoms most of the time... (and I'm going to really start enforcing that with hubby).<br><br>
I refuse to use birth control though. I'm very against anything hormonal/insertable/injectable<br><br>
Can anyone shed any light on whether or not it'd be helpful to chart even though I'm breastfeeding?<br><br>
And does anyone have any more information on charting? I understand the general jist of it, but some of it confuses me. Like I have no clue what a coverline is...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
charting temps doesn't really help all that much unless you are having regular cycles - it doesn't tell you until AFTER you ovulated.<br><br>
what I do and have been doing since my DS was about 4 months (he is 18 mo) is charting symptoms - O pain, cervical mucus, cervical position, nipple pain etc. even though my cycles are all over the place, my fertility signs are clear.. whenever i'm having certain symptoms, we avoid or use protection.. cervical mucus/position being the big factors for me.<br><br>
I did chart temps (using fertilityfriend.com) to TTC both my kids.. and i used OPKs while ttc DS, so that helped me to learn what symptoms really meant something..<br><br>
this is all pretty hard to do if you aren't having cycles yet.. personally, we used condoms until my cycles returned because i was too nervous i wouldn't be able to tell i was going to O.. though when it came down to it, it was very obvious to me.. but like i said before, we charted to TTC twice before i had to worry about TTA..

·
Registered
970 Posts
no advice, I'm about to be in the same boat.<br><br>
I don't feel comfortable with anything that prevents implantation. It took us so long to get pregnant and the thought just makes my stomach sink.<br><br>
I don't know what exactly to do either. Temping was easy before, but I don't sleep at night anymore/ no regular schedule, so I don't know about charting...<br><br>
My sister became pregnant 8 weeks after her daughter, we really don't want to do that.<br><br>
I am also exclusively bf.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I charted to avoid before ds came, and I'd also like to avoid any other form of birth control. I haven't gotten my period back yet, so far I'm ok with the lactational amenorrhea, but I don't want to rely on that for birth control past 6 months. Does anyone know if the length of lactational amenorrhea runs in families? My sister had no period for pretty much the whole time she was nursing (about 2 years), I definitely wouldn't mind going that long. She was also on the mini pill, I don't know what effect that would have on things.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Remember that you can O before AF comes back!<br><br>
The ladies in the Charting to Avoid thread are really helpful. You could look through some of those pages or repost your question.<br><br>
I'm in the same boat! What everyone has told me is that you pretty much need to use barrier methods until you see that your cycle has come back- although most likely you would notice your body gearing up, it could sneak up on you! But go ahead and starting charting- like the PP said, any observable signs. I've never been able to use temps and have successfully relied on just cervical fluid and position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts