Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do. I am due with my third in a couple of months. We currently co-sleep with our 41/2 and 33month dds in a King sized bed. They start the night off together in their twin bed, (so cute how they love to snuggle together). Then in the middle of the night both usually join us. My older dd sometimes stays the night in her own bed but not too frequently lately.

Anyhow.........what the heck am I going to do when #3 arrives? I have tried gently encouraging the 4 yr old to stay the night in her own bed and I even suggested getting her a sleeping bag if she wants to come in our room in the night, but any suggestions are met with adamant disapproval and crying. I don't want her to feel pushed out. I have also been saying that if she stays in her bed all night then we can put the top bunk up, (not sure if this is safe at that age but certainly NOT if she gets up every night to join us, plus I think it is nice that she and her sister share the twin bed). She will be almost 5 when the baby comes and I keep waiting to hear those words that others tell me their 5 yr old say "I would like to sleep in my own bed", but I don't think that is going to happen.

Any suggestions? By the way, our room is a strange shape and there is no way we can accommodate another single mattress on the floor.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hello, I have been there, done that
Actually still doing that!
We have a queen futon pushed up to a twin mattress and are laid out as follow
dh baby me toddler 4yo

When ds was born earlier this year I was still night nursing my toddler who was 18 months at the time so she needed to be on one side, which meant that baby would go in between dh and I. my oldest then 3 1/2, didn't want to be ousted out either so she is just scooted over furthur. every once in awhile i'll move her (oldest) into her own bed in her room but she usually comes back in. you dd sounds like mine. i am waiting for my toddler to get a bit bigger then move the two of them together into the other room.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
When I was pg with #3 we shifted everyone over a bit, it went <spaceforbaby> me <dd1> DH <dd2>. We got a twin mattress for DH and DD2 on their side and then baby, DD1 and me all were on the queen.

You say you don't have room for another twin mattress, do you have room for a crib mattress? Then you could let the new person sleep there, snugged right against you and your side of the bed, then the rest of the king would be for the girls and DH. Must the girls be right next to you? Or will one be okay with having another person between you and her? (i.e., DH or her sister)

Now, two kids later, we have 4 kids and two grownups in one huge bed! It's too hard to describe here but we make it work and everyone is comfy too

Good luck!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I am impressed with you mamas! It is encouraging to hear that it can be done.

feebeeglee, are all your mattresses on the floor? I would like to do that, but dh is resistant, plus where to put those silly box springs?

We do have room to put the girls twin mattress at the foot of the bed but I feel that we would be regressing since they do fall asleep together in their room, plus I know that they would still join us so that would not work. I feel cramped as it is right now! We have a large window on one side and a closet whose doors open close to the bed on the other side, so not sure about attaching a side-car crib, (did that with dd1 in the beginning and I didn't care for the gap nor the distance between us).

·
Registered
151 Posts
We have a queen bed with us and our newborn in it. Then our 2.5 year old sleeps in a side car and our almost 5 year old sleeps in a sleeping bag next to our bed. As each new child joined us we moved the older one to the toddler side car. It worked for us, but we did it a little at a time and only one child at a time. We did try getting the older 2 to sleep in thier room. They have bunkbeds and we tried to get them to sleep in the bottom bunk together. This didn't work so well and they still came in our room. I quess we like our sleep too much and just perfer to have them sleep where they are happy rather than fight with them and get no sleep
Good luck!! You will find something that works for you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.