Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need some serious help here Mamas. DD is obsessed with the Baby Beluga CD, and I need a break!! The only other CDs we have are a few Baby Einstein, which I do like...but after 18 months, they are getting old!!
We also have Singable Songs by Raffi, and a couple of CDs with random children's songs, but nothing that we both really enjoy.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Oh, and I know a lot of people just listen to the music they prefer, and it grows on their kids....but DD doesn't really like Snow Patrol or Postal Service. So.
I do listen to folk music, but I have to be in the right mood.

· Registered
3,882 Posts
I highly recommend the Music Together series. If you can take a class, they are great. If not, I'm not sure how to get their music. Maybe the trading post can help.
They are really good.
As a result though, my ds doesn't know any "normal" kids songs, like Old McDonald.

· Registered
865 Posts
We love:

Crazy Hair Day (Barney Saltzberg)
Animal Playground (Putumayo kids)
Jazz for Kids
If You Ever See An Owl (The Terrible Twos)
Johnny Cash Children's Album (this one is on almost all the time)
Gustafer Yellowgold (this has a CD and a DVD)

and the Beatles.

(If you want detailed reviews, they're on our blog but those are the most requested CDs in our house.)

· Registered
767 Posts
Our favorites right now are...

1. Sandra Boynton: Philadelphia Chickens, Dog Train, and Rhinoceros Tap. We have all three and the whole family loves them!
2. They Might be Giants Here come the ABC's, No!, and we reallly like some of the songs from Flood. DS loves Istanbul...
3. Signing Time we don't have any of the CD's yet...but we love the songs from the DVD's so it makes sense how fun they would be in the car!

· Registered
1,202 Posts
We love:
Jazz for Kids
The Mudcakes
Ralph's World

Although...we do tend to play a lot of our music and our kids like it, but my 2.5-year-old definitely perks up when we play "his" music in the car, et cetera. Jazz for Kids is probably our favorite.

· Registered
13,743 Posts
I'd look at the putamayo (sp?) series. It has to be said, though, all of my kids are big fans of folk rock/punk/stuff like the Levellers

· Registered
671 Posts
I am a big fan of the putamayo series. We have the reggae playground...ds loves it. I hope to get more of them soon. But they are great.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspirant View Post
DS loves Istanbul...
LOL! So do I!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspirant View Post
3. Signing Time we don't have any of the CD's yet...but we love the songs from the DVD's so it makes sense how fun they would be in the car!
Yes, I had the same idea!! I just went online and saw that they actually have CDs with the songs, so we're going to buy two today. I'm excited! I sing them to her a lot, but not as well as Rachel does it!

Thanks, y'all! I'm so excited to try some of these suggestions!! Keep 'em coming!

· Registered
3,356 Posts
I second the nomination for Laurie Berkner. DD is gaga for her. When we get in the car, she says "Bergh-nah ON!"
:

She also likes muppet songs; mah-na mah-na is a favorite, although it drives DH and I straight up a freaking wall.

The Veggie Tales songs are fun, too, if you don't mind the religious overtones. They are Christian vegetables, no doubt.

· Registered
1,629 Posts
We love A Child's Celebration of Song. It has several old favorites on it like Puff the Magic Dragon and Day-O on it, and all the songs are sung by adults, not kids who sound like demented chipmunks. Other favorites are kids CD from Pete Seeger (something like Birds, Beasts, and _____), and a couple from Pottery Barn Kids. The PBK ones are nice because they're classic songs like How Much is that Doggy in the Window or Zippity Doo Dah, and again, they're sung by adults. (Can you tell I have issues with one of DS's cds that's sung by kids?)

· Registered
1,828 Posts
for low-key music, I like Elizabeth Mitchell. We've checked out her CDs 'You are My Sunshine' and 'You are My Flower' from the library. They are folky, though. But lots of songs I remember from childhood--"Three is the Magic Number", "Ladybug Picnic", etc.

· Registered
509 Posts
Someone mentioned the library, which is agreat resource for everything listed above.
In addition to Raph's World and Dan Zanes, my son listens to a lot of late '70's/early 80's "punk lite" like the Ramones, Talking Heads, the Undertones, etc. Most of their stuff is profanity-free, doesn't involve sex, and is surprisingly toddler friendly.
My husband is very into trad Irish music, which we thought was ok until my son started walking around and singling about whiskey.
We also like Pegleg Tango by Captain Bogg & Salty.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
DAN ZANES! my son is obsessed with him lately.

we listend to ALL AROUND THE KITCHEN about, a million times on repeat yesterday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.