Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My most beloved dh just bought me my first sling!!! I am sooo excited! It was a display model, and as a result I am having a hard time figuring it out. I feel so silly. Is the little "pillow" in the sling for baby or is it a shoulder pad? If it is supposed to be for baby, then how to you thread the tail through the rings so that the tail is going towards the ground and not towards the sky? If it is a shoulder pad, how do carry baby in the cradle position over the left shoulder? I felt like the doll I used would fall out if I did anything at all! I am thrilled to have a sling, but I just want to sit down and cry right now! Any help at all that you can give me would be greatly appericiated! TIA

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The pillow goes on your shoulder. When you put the sling on, make sure the rings are by the little hollow in front of your shoulder joint, not on top of your shoulder or up by your neck, and that the padded area is capping the ball of your shoulder. Now, take the bottom "rail" of the sling and pull it up against your stomach to create a pocket for the baby to sit in. With this type of sling, it's good to think of the outer rail as the baby's headrest, rather than having his head in the fold or up against the rings. It's harder to do upright carries with this type of sling since you can't tighten just the top rail, but if you have a bigger baby you might be able to do it. Here are some links to pictures of using this type of sling (padded, closed-tail ring slings):
http://www.nurturedfamily.com/detail...ldsezpositions
http://www.otsbh.net/main_navigation/photoalbum.html
Some of the people in the last link have the baby a little low, though. Ideally the baby's lowest point should be at about your waist. High and tight is the way to go to keep your back from hurting. HTH!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I carried my DD in the Sling-Ezee in a cradle carry, as a newborn, and I can say that I found it impossible without some extra help. The pad in the sling is for your shoulder, but the pouch on that sling is so deep that baby also needs a pillow, so I used to fold a flannel receiving blanket or two up and put them under DD so that she was lifted up inside the sling. Make sure you have plenty of fabric between your body and baby, also.

This was really hard for me to do until DD could support her own head a bit-- getting her in and out was difficult, and she wasn't happy when she was in. You don't say how old your daughter is, but have you tried a snuggle hold--- have baby upright facing you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts