Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so being a first time mom I'm not sure if this is 1 year old behavior, just his personality, or something we need to work on. He gets REALLY frustrated when playing with some toys because he can't do them the way he wants and I don't really understand what he is wanting me to do sometimes and he gets mad and screams at them. For example... blocks. He will play with them some, then he will bring them to me and wants me to play with them. He will hand them to me one by one and want me to stack them or put them in a box or whatever. If I don't stack them right or put them how he wants them he gets really mad! And he can't really do it himself because his coordination is that of a one year old. He tries to stack but ends up knocking them all down, etc. It's like he wants them to be perfect... he doesn't just play with them. So I'm not sure if this is just one year old behavior and the lack between what he thinks he wants and what he can physically do, or if I am missing something or what? He does better and gets less frustrated playing by himself but of course he wants me to play with him. This happens with balls, blocks, and well usually anything there is more than one of. He just gets so frustrated and mad and it makes me get frustrated to where I just don't want to play! Anyone have any ideas or go through something similar? By the way, my son is 15 months old.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My dd, who's now 3.5, was always this way and still kind of is. She gets frustrated VERY easily and throws a fit! And she's generally a very good natured kid. I CANNOT get her to put socks on because she finds it too hard and doesn't want me to teach her, she just wants me to DO it. Looking back, I remember her getting frustrated with toys even as a small baby.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what this is about or how to change it. Lotta good that does, huh? I do know that if I catch her in a good mood, I can get her to try some things. She has learned a lot, so the frustration hasn't stopped her from developing or anything. It's just a frustrating journey for mom.
Just want you to know that you're not alone and it's probably fairly normal.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think this is fairly common and not at all anything to be worried about. It is probably frustrating to watch, but it is only a phase I bet.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Sounds like my dd at that age. It got better as she became more verbal. No tips to help you though, sorry!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sounds like you've got a perfectionist on your hands. My ds often screams in frustration at his toys or other things that won't do what he wants them to (including his mom). I find its best to just acknowledge his frustration "I can see you're frustrated that you can't do this or that" and either help, or distract him, or if its something you think he could do with a bit of practice, show him how to do it and then let him try and get frustrated and say "why don't we try that again?". I have found that teaching and showing him how to do things (guiding his hands, showing him how it works) and encouraging him to try it again if I think its something he developmentally can do with a bit of work has helped him to be more confident and less easily frustrated already in the last year. It is pretty normal, though. Imagine watching everyone around you be able to effortlessly walk / talk / use cutlery / put on their clothes, etc, etc and not be able to do those things yourself. YOu would be pretty frustrated, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.