Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have been following threads regarding antidepressants here at Mothering - somehow I feel better knowing other natural mamas are on them too. Anyway, I used to be on Zoloft about eight years ago (I took it for 2 years). It worked very well, although sometimes I had chest pains. About two years ago I went on Celexa, but I gained 40 pounds (not like me). I have been battling with anxiety/depression again lately, and so tried Prozac, but that made me anxious/couldn't sleep/overly tired. SO...I tried the Zoloft again (I tried new meds first as getting off the Zoloft before was hell).

So now the Zoloft is working great, BUT I am now experiencing irregular heart beats and chest pains. So the doc told me to get off. My question is - can anybody recommend a good AD that is similar to Zoloft and that won't make me gain weight? How about Effexor? (I have heard some people mention that one.) I thought of Paxil, but have heard weaning off of that one is torturous. Would the Prozac side effects go away after a time?

I need help. I am quite frustrated with all this.
I will ask my doctor of course, but was hoping to hear from somebody who has actually taken the medication.

(Been done BF for awhile - whew!)

Thank you all very much....

·
Registered
29 Posts
You asked about Effexor. Effexor works on different neurotransmitters than regular SSRIs. (I believe it acts on dopamine and norepinephrine, as well as serotonin.) I was told a few years ago that doctors will usually try you on this if you don't respond to regular SSRIs. Not that a doctor wouldn't prescribe it to you off the bat, but I think they're more comfortable with SSRIs because as a class of medication they've been around longer.

I used Effexor once a few years back, and then again during pregnancy. It worked great the first time, not so well during pregnancy. I had to switch to Zoloft a few weeks ago because the Effexor was worthless for me postpartum. Still, when I used it a few years back, it was a godsend.

I can't promise you that it would work better or worse for you, because every brain chemistry is different!

I wanted to give you a warning on Effexor, though: I find that the stuff is wicked nasty when weaning. Expect to feel horrible as you decrease your dosage. I've never been on Paxil, but I can't imagine that weaning off of that is worse than weaning off of Effexor. Also, your body will definitely let you know if you miss a dose. Talk about feeling lousy!

One of my relatives is on Wellbutrin and seems to like it quite a lot, but I don't know any details about his experience.

Sorry I can't provide you with a magic bullet answer.
I really hope that you can find something that will work for you. Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Did Celexa work well for you other than the weight gain? I take Lexapro (10 mg). Lexapro is the "new generation" of Celexa and is an SSRI. They apparenting isolated the active part of Celexa and so you have to take a lot less overall quantity for it to work similarly. Might be worth a look. I have not gained weight with Lexapro. (I have not lost weight, either, but oh well!) I also take some St. John's Wort but that wasn't enough - Lexapro was just the extra push I needed to stay out of the downward spiral.

Good luck!

Carol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Effexor and Paxil have wicked withdrawl effect when weaning. Both have a very short half life. Wellbutrin and lexapro sound like good bets. They're suppose to be purer drugs too. Hope you find something that works. I just switched from paxil to prozac. I feel a little better on prozac. I didn't like the addictive-like qualities of the paxil.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used to take Prozac then doc switched to Remeron (mirtazapine). I liked it much better than Prozac...didn't have any weight gain and it wasn't supposed to decrease libido ( I still think it did though).

I haven't been on them for nearly 4 years now though, because of pregnancy and nursing. I changed my diet (got rid of alot of carbs) and my depression is definitely better than it ever was now that I am anti-depressant drug free, regularly seeing a chiropractor, and have eliminated a lot of refined sugars and carbs from my diet.

Have you looked into any natural alternatives? I hear that cranial sacral therapy and acupuncture can help.

depression sucks.... I hope you find something that works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.