Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made many loaves of bread in the past months, and I am not satisifed yet. They taste like the yeast is fermenting too long, or too much. The flavor is often kinda yeasty, alchoholy, fermenty, and I think they should have a slightly lighter crumb. I have made all types of breads and this seems to be a consistent concern. Is the rising temp too high, is it rising too much (I do use a glass bowl w/ markings to measure the doubling volume), am I feeding the yeast too much (I always use honey, and man is that hard to measure, I also use Active Dry Yeast, and raw milk when called for). I always do 2 bowl rises and a shaped rise, but no luck. I am stumped.

I am using The Bread Bible by Rosenbaum, which is an excellent resource, and follow her instructions as closely as I can, but something is not right. Help?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bump

Please some help here cause I am watching this, I also need help with some bread questions, my bread dosent rise enough. I should get that book, will run to B&N today to check it out. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I use my Kitchen aid to mix the dough until its toghether enough to knead, I also start my oven so that the kitchen is nice and warm cause its -30 outside and still cold in the house. And I let it rise on the stove top with a birdseye diper
over top...hee hee there clean atleast! I use the dry yeast in the bulk package...maybe my yeast is old. Anyways I will be watching the thread for help.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Last week I had only a little yeast left- so I just dumped it all in- got about 3 TB instead of 2 TB, it tasted quite yeasty- which normally it does not- try to cut down on the yeast a little and see if that makes a difference.
If it still doesn't, you might want to try sour dough- so it doesn't have any yeast in it. You might just be more sensitive to the taste than others-- have you had others (outside the family) try and it and see?

And the "not rising"- All I can think is to try smaller pans- I have some narrow pans and wide ones, and I always like the way the narrow ones come out, because they come out higher. I think white flour rises more than wheat and heavier flours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts