Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 4 she currently goes to the Brown Play School, which is a Reggio inspired pre school, which she absolutely loves. The teachers are so nuturing, and there is great parental involvement.
Dh is adamant that she will not go to the local Kindergaten/ Grade school in our area, but the aternatives are a couple of charter schools in Providence that donot seem to be very good academically, and some fabulous looking private schools that are $10,000 plus a year for K.
:

There is a great public school , but I am not sure if we live near enough to it for her to be eligable for enrollement.

Does anyone have any advice?

TIA

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
It sounds like you should at least visit the public school and see what you think. There can be a lot of variety from classroom to classroom and school to school.

You may also want to cross post in the Rhode Island section of Finding Your Tribe here at MDC!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, (Jasmine?),
Have you looked at the compass school? It's a hike from providence, near URI. It's about 35 minutes from me as well, but it is wonderful. It's a charter school, admission is done by a lottery. I can't apply until next year, but even though I planned on homeschooling, this school looks so great, I'll throw DD's name in the lottery and if she gets in, we'll all be excited.
I spoke to the kindy teacher and she said that the students with a long drive seemed to adapt well. http://www.compassschool.org/
Gina

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gina, I was just thinking of you, wondering if you went to the RI birth networkk meeting today. I wanted to go, but there are colds going on, and didnot want to subject everyone to the yellow nosed monkey!!

Thanks for the compass school advice,I will look into it, as we are not 100% sure where we are living the next couple of years, so maybe we will be closer.

Lauren, we will visit the local school to compare it. Dh grew up here, and the area has cahnged a great deal, so that is probably what is affecting his judgement.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gina, thanks for letting me know about the school. It looks fantastic!!
I totally get a good vibe, just from the website!
I am not sure if it is just for children in Washington Co. though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.