Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! Our washer died with a full load of diapers in it
We're off to Gramo's tomorrow to finish this load up.

I'd like a top loader. Any input?

Does anyone have an agitatorless toploader? How do you like it?

If anyone has access to consumer reports can you tell me the top 5 suggestions?

I'm open to a front loader if someone can suggest one that actually works with cd's. I've heard so many complaints about them that I think I want to steer clear of them. Husband is pushing for one of these though.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I just got a Kenmore HE2, it is a Consumer Reports best buy. It's a front loader, $850. I've only had it less than a week, so not much experience here, but so far I love it. I've only seen rave reviews here for the Kenmore HE's. Stay far away from the Maytag Neptune's though, those are rated the worst and they even got sued because the machines and mold/mildew problems.

Whatever you get, you'll LOVE having a new machine! I am in washing machine heaven over here. Our old machine was in the running for nastiest, most pieced together pile of junk ever. It quit on me several times in the middle of a diaper load and somehow my dad, dh or I would get it going again.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Mine was 12 yrs old (this week) and I've never ever had anything go wrong until last night. I can't even imagine what a repair would cost, so I figure might as well get a new one. It looked/ran perfect until last night

I got the diapers cleaned, that's all that matters right? LOL So what if we have to walk around here in rags for the next 2 days until we get our new washer!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a Kenmore HE3t, which is great. It has a "sanitary" cycle which takes the water from your house's hot water heater and heats is even more (that's what the "t" in the model name of the washer stands for--temperature). It's like it is custom made for diaper washing! Any Kenmore model with the "t" at the end of its model name has this feature.

Just as a warning, though, repair costs for front loaders are extremely high, so forwarned is forarmed. Using the aforesaid "sanitary cycle" does run down the rubber gasket that closes the front loader, leading to a very costly repair. That said, it's still cheaper than using disposables (and believe it or not, easier too!).

Shifra

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm fairly new to cloth diapering. My son is only 7 weeks old, but I feel I've really gotten to know my washing machine in these 7 weeks, as you can tell by my sig
:.

I have a Kenmore Oasis HE washer, and I love it, both for diaper care and general use. It's top loading and has no agitator. I was a little leery of the "no agitator" thing when we got it, I had visions of our clothes all tied up in knots, but it works great. No knots! lol

The capacity is incredible, and it cleans like a champ. The wash settings are very customizable, and I've been able to follow manufacturer instructions for all of my different diapers perfectly and almost effortlessly. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VernaBloom View Post
I'm fairly new to cloth diapering. My son is only 7 weeks old, but I feel I've really gotten to know my washing machine in these 7 weeks, as you can tell by my sig
:.

I have a Kenmore Oasis HE washer, and I love it, both for diaper care and general use. It's top loading and has no agitator. I was a little leery of the "no agitator" thing when we got it, I had visions of our clothes all tied up in knots, but it works great. No knots! lol

The capacity is incredible, and it cleans like a champ. The wash settings are very customizable, and I've been able to follow manufacturer instructions for all of my different diapers perfectly and almost effortlessly. Hope that helps!

We ended up purchasing this same model (Oasis HE) and though we only got it hooked up at 9 pm last night we've already done 5 HUGE loads of laundry! Awesome machine. We got it on sale with a discount and a $50 energystar rebate, so all said and done we paid $800 for it
I also love how nice it is to look at
We got the lovely pacific blue, its a shame its in the basement!

What settings do you use for your diapers? What kind of diapers do you use?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts