Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have icky, little black ants coming in our front door. Actually, you can see where they are coming from...right by the door there is a small space where the slate floor starts and they are coming out from under there.

What do I do? I don't want to use harsh chemicals.

What can I use that is SAFE?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There's an orange oil spray soap that's non-toxic that I found at the grocery store. Can't remember what it's called though! I've heard drawing a line with chalk, cream of tartar and paprika also work.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Some WISE WISE WISE mama on MDC 2 summers ago posted that Instant Grits sprinkled on the ground near the ant hole or along the column will get rid of them (they eat them and it doesn't agree with them)...

and

she was SOOOOOOOO right on! After 2 days no ants. No sprays, no mess, no hassle. DH then went around the outside of the house laying down a line of grits and the ants have never come back. Hope that helps!

Jenne

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenne
Some WISE WISE WISE mama on MDC 2 summers ago posted that Instant Grits sprinkled on the ground near the ant hole or along the column will get rid of them (they eat them and it doesn't agree with them)...
I know the feeling lol - I used to live in Texas! Great people not so great grits!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Draw a line with chalk where the ants are coming in. Ants won't
cross over chalk.

Each Summer I find some ants in my kitchen. Old country home
I am sure they have hundreds of entrances into my home. I make
small traps of syrup (something sweet) and borax. They drag it
home and feed it to the clan and they all die. I did it early this
year and so far no ants. June is usually the worst month for this
problem.

I have tried the grits in my garden and it works too.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
i use about a capful of TTO to a pint of water, put it in a sprayer, and spray where they're coming in. i don't know if it's the smell of it or what .. but they never come in the same spot again, at least at our house. Other places? sure. but never where i sprayed :LOL

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinity6232000
I make
small traps of syrup (something sweet) and borax. They drag it
home and feed it to the clan and they all die. I did it early this
year and so far no ants.

Works like a charm!

JM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.