Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm super new to this gardening thing, and I'm DETERMINED not to use poisons on it. It's our food, after all. But we have squash vine borers on our zucchinis, and we're not getting a harvest of them this year.
Our zuke stems are all torn up. We didn't know what was causing it til a week or so ago. How can we get rid of them without using poisons? I read about nematodes in the dirt, but it's too late for that this year. If I do that next year, would it work? Has anyone tried it? Is there anything else out there that works better?

Also, our morning glories have some bug on them that I can't identify. They look like lil brown pebbles, and they have a white whisp of what looks like cotton coming out of their butts. And they sever the vine, and eat the leaves. Any nontoxic ways of getting rid of them? Introducing positive insects to our garden is the way I really want to go, but I don't know what eats these bugs, since I don't know what they are! Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
First of all a recommendation for a great insect book to help you identify what's what in your garden:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/069...882319?ie=UTF8

As for squash borers specifically, I've had some luck with slitting open the vine with a razor and pulling out the nasty little beasties with tweezers and then piling dirt over the wound until it heals... it's about 50/50 whether the plant will live after you do this.

I ususally do successive plantings of squash, the vine borers get the early planted but I get early squash from them before they die. Then the new ones are up and going for later season squash, but set out after the borers have laid their eggs for the season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts