Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! i hope someone can help me. my 7 mo dd is a HEAVY wetter. she nurses ALL night so she has lots of ammunition!

here's how i'm diapering her: imse vimse org. terrycloth onesize w/terry insert diaper. for the cover i use the wool bumpy one.

she sleeps about 12 hours straight
so by the time she is up the diaper has "wicked" onto the bed. her cover seems pretty soaked too.

yes i have lanolized the covers several times. i just don't know what to do.
should i try a different nighttime system?

every once in a while i will use a 7th generation sposie at night and in the morning, i swear it weighs 2 or 3 pounds!
:

what are your suggestions? i don't want to go the sposie route but i also don't want to wash all my bedding everyday.
:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Double cover!
I used to put on a wool cover and then cover that with a soaker or wool longies. That seemed to do the trick.

Also, a wool liner under the doubler will help force the doubler to hold more.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you tried a more absorbant diaper? I don't really understand what diaper you are using (sorry
) , but I like pocket fitteds for night, since you can really stuff them.

I agree that puting a pair of longies on for jammies really helps! There are covers out there that work great for night! There is nothing worse than waking up in a damp bed

Good Luck Mama!

·
Registered
661 Posts
We're using this trick with ds who's 3.5 and wears a "pull up" type of pants with a hemp doubler at night. He still co-sleeps and we were waking up in big puddles many mornings!! This works great for us!

I found this on the EC board under a sticky for EC resources. The thread is "best EC tricks for new mamas". Posted by sprinklepocket.

"ok, here's THE best trick we figured out...it's VERY inexpensive too. we got a few 100% wool blankets from the thrift store (ended up all being military). we got about 10 or 15 flannel pillow cases from the thrift store (less chemical treatment than regular pillow cases and softer/warmer. also had more fun patterns for the babe to look at).

i wash/dried the wool blankets a couple times to fully felt them or get any shrinkage i could. then i cut them to fit the pillow cases. i lanolized them which i now know i didn't even need to do and eventually stopped doing. when our son was a newborn, we folded the wool in 1/2 and put it down in the pillowcase which i then folded in 1/2. newborns don't tend to move around, but can use more absorbancy since alot of pees tend to get missed. also, when you're sleep-deprived and can't even deal with reaching for another pillowcase, or if you just miss part of a poo, the pillow case can be opened and re-folded in 1/2 the other way since the wool isn't really wet. when the babe is older and more wiggly/roly-poly, the wool can be single layer and the pillowcase left unfolded so even with movement, the bed/floor/lap is protected.

if they're just peed on, they can be hung to dry and re-used (since the urine tends to be so dilute) until it gets pooped on or you are doing laundry anyway. i never had a problem with odor. so after laundering, we would get the wool in all the pillowcases and had a nice stack of them ready for use.

sooo easy! and it's so neat to see them needing to be laundered less and less as you get better and better at picking up cues, until you're only washing one or two a week, if that!

oh, and the other great thing we did with these is put them under the babe in bed at night. perfect for letting the babe go dipeless. we had a boy, so we put little undies on him to avoid a fountain hitting the sheets, but it's sooo nice to sleep with your snuggly baby with no undies on either. a leap of faith, but so snuggly.
"

Even though we're not ECing, this has been the best solution for our "wet bed" problems!! HTH

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I'd throw more absorbancy into the dipe..clearly, it's just not enough.....add a big hemp doubler..a joeybunz is trim, but will add a lot of absorbancy..or more terry, or micro, or whatever...put another few ounces of absorbancy..
.possibly double cover over it all....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips!

the diapers i use are organic terrycloth material. they are contoured/fitted diaper style. they have an attached doubler and then i add another doubler thats even thicker.

i am going to try to hunt down some wool blankets and pillowcases.....what a GREAT idea!

·
Registered
770 Posts
When my DD was a little younger, I would change her in the middle of the night because of the wetting issues. We were both up for a nursing session, so it wasn't too much of an issue. You may want to try a super night time wool soaker- I find that crocheted ones are really great- I also believe that you need to really lanolize and not just use wool wash. I would also add another diaper in the mix. I put 2 growing greens hemp diapers on my DD with a prefold and a thick wool cover. It works great for us. Cricketts diapers are really thick and thirsty too. They are a hemp blend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.