Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were about to buy an extra convertible seat for my mom's car, when several friends said I would be moving my three and a half year old into a booster seat soon anyway. When is that supposed to happen? I'm reading all different statistics on the web and I'm confused. My first concern is his safety... second is his comfort. We have an Evenflo Triumph, and even without the bulky winter jacket, it's getting pretty tight.

He's very tall for his age. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Any pointers are really appreciated.

· Premium Member
11,523 Posts
he doesn't need to go into a booster any time soon.

what about a Nautilus? or an Apex for your mom's car.

Anything that harnesses past 40 lbs would be good, that way he doesn't outgrow it by weight any time soon.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
I moved DS into a booster around age 5, when he'd outgrown his harnessed seat. If he'd outgrown it at age 3 or 4, I probably would have gone with a seat that harnesses longer, but by age 5 he was capable of sitting properly in the seat so I decided not to spend the extra money. I just didn't think the benefits, in my specific situation, were worth the added expense. Another child at age 5 might have been "too wiggly" to be safe in a booster.

Under no circumstances would I purchase a booster seat for a 3.5yo. I might put a 3.5yo in a booster (provided the child fit the height and weight requirements of the booster) in an emergency situation, but I wouldn't go and purchase one intentionally.

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All right this is all very good info, thank you. I'll just have to look at bigger convertible seats or the combination seats, as suggested. Though I thought the Apex was a booster, no? I'll google a Nautilus, thanks. Any other brand recommedations?

· Premium Member
11,523 Posts
my 3.5 yr old is in an apex. It's a harnessed seat until 65 lbs and then can be used as a belt positioning booster until 100 lbs.

You do need a head rest and it's a pretty wide seat. I'd get a nautilus if possible.

· Premium Member
3,785 Posts
The term "booster" is used often used by parents to both refer to seats that harness and then convert to a booster, as well as seats that are just boosters. The Apex and the Nautilus are both seats that are high weight harnessing then convert to a booster. I wouldn't look at convertibles, unless you want to pass it down to your other child. The Apex, Nautilus, Frontier (although just recalled and will be hard to find) or Regent are your most likely options. There are a few others out there though!

· Registered
6,300 Posts
My 5.5yo is in a Nautilus and loves it! So does his brother and sister, lol. He'll be getting a Radian soon, but will grow out that before I can bat an eye, but it's best for the size we need in the van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.