Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems with forgetfulness, etc?

The thing is, I am a very organized person and I rarely forget things. Lately, I have been a basket case! I forgot that I left noodles on the stove today! I just stepped away briefly while the water was boiling. After I remembered, a good bit of the noodles stuck to the bottom of the pan
:

That's not the worst either! This happened about a week ago. We have a water cooler, and I flipped the spout up to fill a pot with water. After it was done filling up, I walked away from the dining room and into the kitchen. Then I realized that I was hearing some water pouring from somewhere... I forgot to turn it off! So, I walk back over and what do I do? flip the switch down? no.. I reach behind the cooler, and flip the cool water switch to "on"
: I'm going crazy!!! Immediately after that, realizing what I was doing, I reached over and turned the switch off that was controlling the water.

Now that's bad. And that's not me. I don't do stuff like that.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one!!
:

·
Registered
269 Posts
OMG, I can't remember anything! I like to blame it on lack of lecithin...think I read about that somewhere...who knows? I can't remember

I think it gets worse nursing a newborn!

Sarah

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There has actually been research that shows that during pregnancy your brain grows new cells - something it doesn't normally do - and that "mommy brain" is a myth. But I think that research must have been done by men, as I am beginning to think my brain is on vacation.

I think in my case though it is caused by exhaustion. I have been so tired this pregnancy, I feel like I am always living in a fog.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's definitely not fatigue-based for me.
Isn't estrogen responsible for a profound amount of memory issues? And aren't our estrogen levels haywire?
All I know is I miss my brain-it used to be such a good friend. Like I've said previously, as long as I can get the thought to the list, I'm gravy. But that's a big if.

I had a friend who's a grandma now and had 6 kids. One of her girls is pregnant and when i mentioned being a ditz and frustrated, she says, "That's what my daughter said. Is this some new fangled pregnancy symptom?" I laughed and assured her she simply had it and forgot.

I think
A) it proves women have a mental advantage over man
and
B) I forgot what B was
:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I found an acronym on another website that I like....

D.I.P.S. -- Dumbness Induced by Pregnancy Syndrome.

Not applying that to any of you, but I definitely think it applies to me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Please do not take this the wrong way... But.....
that is way too funny, and only because I can totally relate.
When I was PG with maddy, I have no idea why,but my Cordless phone was ALWAYS in the damn freezer. When ever I talked on the phone, I would raid the fridge, and when I hung up.. I guess it just belonged in the freezer, I would put can goods in the freezer, and TV dinners in the Cuboards.. So now that I am PG again, the running joke if something cannot be found.is. Have you checked the freezer...We had supper from Burger King and I set my soda down a wek ago, and do you know.. today, I still have NO IDEA where it is

·
Registered
224 Posts
Haha...you just reminded me...last weekend after a bbq we had at our home for our AP group...I went to put left overs in the fridge but instead I opened the cupboard...fortunately after I shut the cupboard door I realized what I'd done, and pulled it out and put it in it's rightful place...

·
Registered
175 Posts
My brains were sucked out my breasts years ago. I'm just happy I can still remember my name most of the time. I do count heads everywhere we go just to make sure I'm not missing anyone. I have just two kids.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A friend of mine used to call it "placenta brain".

Really it's driving me crazy at work - I work as an accounts manager and am responsible for millions of dollars of company money in several currencies. I really can't afford to be so flaky!

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I was pregnant with my son I got into my car to go to work...I sat there for a minute or two before I realized there was no steering wheel...the it dawned on me I was sitting in the passenger seat. That was the worst pregnancy brain moment I had. So far with this one, information seems to go in one ear and out the other without even touching my brain. My poor husband has to always repeat himself or remind me of stuff LOL.

Babies suck your brain power away when you're pregnant...that's for sure.

·
Registered
510 Posts
:
Yep I am a D.I.P.S. sufferer. Dh likes to mess with me though he seems to find my lack of inteligence funny. The other day we where going to visit my Dad. Dh was driving and we where chatting. He deliberately drove by my dads house got a mile down the road and with huge grin on his face asked if I forgot where we where going. I actually had to think about it. Dh also finds great amusement in watching me get ready in the mourning he says he likes watching me dart around the house while making absolutely no progress on getting off to work.

He also enjoyed telling the guys at work, my mother, my father and my best friend what I did on monday when I let the kitchen sink run over while filling it to do dishes........... come to think of it I do remember being on the computer visiting MDC when it happened so it cant be all that bad I do remember that

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ooo, your husband needs some payback. What a stinker.

I had a scary dumb moment this week-end. I was doing the bills and specifically went to get my business checkbook because I was paying off the credit card this month.
Everything seemed to be in order until I went to write another check in our joint account and (thank Spirit) my eyes caught the faint carbon duplicate of a check made out for $1000 in THE WRONG CHECKBOOK! I couldn't believe I had screwed that up-especially after being so careful.

There are so many ways I could've not caught that. I felt pretty lucky that at least someone 'up there' is looking out for me.

So will DH do the bills from now on? No way. I'm still the better choice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts