Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally at the stage with simplifying and organization that "little" things are starting to get my time and attention.
:

I need some serious help. I have a big kitchen which can be seen from the living room (quite an open floor plan). The cabinet doors are white and not nice. In addition, the tile on the wall between the lower and upper cabinets is white. The walls in the kitchen are... you guessed it... white. We rent from my parents who believe that in order to sell later everything needs to remain white.

So... what can be done? I am thinking of wrapping some of the doors in fabric (saw that done online), so some of the doors (8 out of the 20) would become more of a desk area and seem a bit more separate from the others doors. That is as far as my imagination goes and I can't even decide what sort of fabric to use so it does not become too busy.

We have a wonderful big wool rug in the living room with beige, yellow, old red and green and almost blackish blue. It is kind of old-fashined and countryish. The table in the kitchen is some sort of wood (ha, really don't know) and the chairs are red.

I would love any thoughts, pics or websites for inspiration, etc. I am thinking of barn stars but not sure what I would do with those.

I love the style of Delight who is a member here. This pic of hers has a lot of the colors we have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7600025082938/

I have (light) yellow curtains, though, so maybe I should bed for permission to paint some things in that green she has in the curtains. (Actually, that is my secret plan for the living room. The kitchen cannot really be helped with paint, as the cabinets, tile or huge window cannot be painted.

TIA!!!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Hmm...that's tough. Of course you could always paint the cabinets a color and then re-paint them white before you move out.
That's what we did at out last apartment.

The other idea that comes to mind is to remove the cabinet doors entirely and have your parents store them safely. In the place of cabinet doors you can hang little colorful curtains on tension rods. For a really playful country/vintage look you could use vintage dishcloths or table cloths (if you can bring yourself to cutting them up) to make the curtains. Or if you have pretty and colorful dishes, leave the curtain off and display the dishes!

You can also bring color to the kitchen by hanging oversized, colorful artwork or tapestries on the wall. Or if you have a window, display some colored glass to brighten the room.

HTH
!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
could you use some lighting with colored globes or bulbs ... more like a filter that throws that color off.

are the upper cabinets open? or are they soffited? is that the word?... we have a couple of large metal cabinets that are painted bright neon green on the backs and the top, we just put them in a white room and they give the room, the wall behind it a green glow.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Don't your parents know that they'll have to re-paint anyway if you move out?

I'd be getting some books on this topic, because from everything I've heard stark white isn't the way to go- the professionals all say to just stay neutral.

So soothing tones.....do you think the rents would spring for maybe some a butter color for the walls? Perhaps a light pistachio?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I second the pp... all white in a kitchen would look too sterile, and may turn off buyers, actually. try to convince your parents that adding some neutral tones (even if it's a soft brown.. blah.. will look more appealing than the surgery room feel. I think some tiles can be painted.. maybe painting those backsplash tiles a soft neutral will break-up all the whiteness from above and below. (painting cabinets is a huge pain, anyways.. )

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
White can be yummy
. Check out this and this. Control the clutter, make sure that the lighting is great, and accessorize with your favourite colours -- using curtains, hanging plates, dishtowels, collections, etc. When you add colour, it will really "pop" against the white background.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone!

I guess the big problem is that our doors are not some sort of stylish or traditional lookind wood things. They are particle board with some sort of half plasticy sheet on top.

I recognize the pics in the previous post as being very "stylish", you know, the kind that many might want. Not my style. I hate most of those, too.

I think my parents will let us paint but that will do little for the kitchen, which is white cabinets, white tile and a big window. I think changing the counter tops would be a good idea but that would be $$$ (I think) and my parents might not let us. (Their place has all white walls... this must be a generational and cultural thing, partly... I am not in the US.)

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Since you and your parents are not planning a kitchen renovation, it sounds like you should concentrate on decorating parts of the home that have some potential to fit with the style that you like
. We own our home but we don't have a reno budget so I've learned to work with what I have and that has involved looking for inspiration in photos of homes that have similar features to what I'm dealing with

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.