Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, DD is 4 months now and I can only rely on LAM for two more months, then it's time to look into other options.

The problem lies in this: we aren't sure if we want more children or how to space them.
. I am breastfeeding, obviously, so I am limited to the forms compatible with that.

We've discussed:
-Mirena (Not too stoked on the plastic+hormone combination)
-Paragard (Does it affect AF? I've always had heavy, long periods and moderate-severe cramping)
-Micronor
-Charting
-And letting nature takes it's course and let what will be, be.

I just don't know what's best for us. It's been so long since I've been on BC. We've always relied on condoms, but with my latex allergy, they are very expensive and truthfully cumbersome and mood-killing.

Any pointers or tips for helping me choose?

· Registered
555 Posts
Paragard made my cramps go away, but my flow became horrendous. Had it for a year, got it out last week! now we're charting/condoms/withdrawal.

I don't do hormones well, so mirena was out for me, plus it's a lot of money to put down at once (but totally worth it in the end if you like it!)

Good luck!

· Registered
2,969 Posts
I don't see it on your list but I LOVE the nuvaring. I'm off it now because i'm ttc but it worked GREAT for me.

It is a hormonal bc BUT the hormones are not going all through your digestive system like the pill so you don't get the same side effects. For me the pill made me really really nauseous (and this is the mini pill i'm talking about because i was (and still am) nursing).

The nuva ring did not affect my supply at all. My dr. was saying that it is only not recommended to nursing mothers in the first 6 weeks (to make sure their supply is where it needs to be first). I didn't start on it until ds was 18 months or so (i was waiting til first ppaf before starting any bc) and just stopped last month (so i was on it almost a year).

It also really helped to stop my endometriosis pain.

So anyway I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone and everyone and I will def be going back on it in the future after my next child is born and ppaf returns.

· Registered
1,015 Posts
If you have heavy periods I would not get a Paraguard. I had very light periods, that became very long and heavy when I got my Paraguard. They finally tapered off after a year, but were still heavy.

· Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Have you considered using a diaphragm and spermicide? That might be another option.
I don't do well with hormonal methods, personally, and I really like my paraguard. It made my cramps go away. My periods are heavier, but not horribly so.
Be careful with the LAM, it's really unpredictable. I wouldn't say that you have a flat six months. I'd at least be using withdrawal right now.

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are diaphragms latex, though? I just assumed they would be. If not, can they be inserted in advance, or are they like condoms in the way that they interrupt the goings on? (LOL)

I never thought of the Nuvaring! That's an option too, if it doesn't jack with my supply.

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
I think ortho makes a non latex diaphragm, your pharmacy would probably have to special order it. it can be placed in advance of dtd. eta ortho all flex is silicone now, it used to be latex, and milex wide seal is silicone

fwiw nuvaring gave me the same side effects the pill did. no sex drive, irregular bleeding, mood swings, breast soreness. it does have estrogen in it so there is a chance it will decrease your supply. and it still has the chance of serious side effects that the pill has (stroke, blood clot, etc)

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I cannot do hormones, and I to have a latex allergy. We did charting with non-latex condoms during fertile periods. I had a tubal when we knew we were done.

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I think ortho makes a non latex diaphragm, your pharmacy would probably have to special order it. it can be placed in advance of dtd. eta ortho all flex is silicone now, it used to be latex, and milex wide seal is silicone

fwiw nuvaring gave me the same side effects the pill did. no sex drive, irregular bleeding, mood swings, breast soreness. it does have estrogen in it so there is a chance it will decrease your supply. and it still has the chance of serious side effects that the pill has (stroke, blood clot, etc)
I'm really surprised you got those symtptoms? Did you do it for a few cycles or just the first? I knwo the first cycle on it i did have some cramps and a tiny bit of nausea but by the second cycle it was gone and i had a great sex drive no mood swings and no breast tenderness. It has a very small amount of estrogen similar to the minipill and it is located in your uterus so it isn't going all through your system so technically it should give less side effects. Not saying it didn't happen to you just wondering if you gave a few cycles or not?

· Registered
731 Posts
There are a few options that work with BFing. The diaphram was already mentioned, but it can kill spontaniety (much like having to stop and put on a condom). There is a copper IUD that is just as effective as the Mirena IUD. There's also the mini pill. It's like BC pills, but the hormonal makeup of the actual pill is different. (I believe it's progesterone only, which will not affect your supply). The primary drawback is that you have to take it at the same time, every day - which could be challenging with a new baby. IMHO I don't know if I'd chart immediately post-partum. Your cycles are likely wacky and O is hard to pin down.

Good luck!!

· Registered
130 Posts
I'd be leery of the nuvaring. Three of my friends are due in june/july and they were ALL on the nuva ring. and two of them were breastfeeding still!

· Registered
2,108 Posts
I would be leery of the nuvaring if you have problems with hormones. I was still a depressed, moody crazy woman on nuvaring (as well as on a few other forms of "low" hormone bc). I've opted for charting because I am not sane on hormones and we hated the diaphragm and condoms.

· Registered
786 Posts
I'm on the mini pill and happy with it. I started when DD was 6 months. Didn't notice a decrease in supply. DH has the cell alarm set to go off at 8:30pm and brings me the pill, so I'm almost always right on time taking it.

My midwife encouraged me to wait until my cycle returned (it still hasn't), but the thought of another baby right now terrifies me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.