Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tile in my family room and kitchen and after 5 years it's being to look very dirty. I clean the floors constantly, but the grout is very porious and it's hard to get the dirt out. I have tried baking soda and scrubbing, but that really didn't work. I tried using a magic eraser (heavy duty), but that didn't work as well as I would have liked it to. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The baking soda and a toothbrush (or Target has a grout brush for a few dollars - it's much bigger than a toothbrush) should have worked, but you can try OxiClean since it's stronger and the hydrogen peroxide in it should bleach out the stains.

Another option: In my bathroom tile, I use a diluted white vinegar spray (1/2 or more water, 1/2 or less white vinegar). Don't make the vinegar more than 1/2 or else it eats the grout.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
Grout brushes work well for us, its a narrow stiff bristled brush. We got ours at Rona (like Home Depot).

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The only thing I found that worked on my grout was the Clorox Bleach Pen. It made me so happy to see clean grout!!! hehe

Many Blessings,
April
intuitive medium

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you can afford it have it professionally cleaned and sealed. Sealing will keep it cleaner much longer and will make it look like new. I had my tile cleaned 3 months ago and we had only lived in our house 9 months at that point. You would not believe the difference!!!

I mop my floors with laundry det and for the stains in the grout I use a grout brush. But the professional cleaning was what REALLY got it cleaned!!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try the bleach pen! The grout brush aslo sounds like a must. I hate dirty grout and it's just eating at me everyday! I would love to have my grout professionally cleaned and sealed, but I'll have to try it myself. Besides we are going to be moving in the near future so I'll let someone else pay for them to be sealed!

Lisa

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
We have tile in our kitchen with dyed gray grout.

I have never heard of a professional cleaning and sealing. Why would you do that? Mainly to protect the grout from getting stained? I wouldn't think ceramic tile needs to be sealed.

How much would something like that cost?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have always just used toothpaste and a hard bristled toothbrush. Cheap dollar store toothpaste works great and then it smells minty in your home which I think is a nice plus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.