Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ds is 9 dx ppd/autism we're trying to get him into an autism spectrum school. We're in mediation right now. One of the schools counter arguments is that ds would back slide socially if we went to an as school because some of the kids there "aren't good role models" and that he's better off learning social skills in a mainstream enviroment

I'm going to skip the details of this nightmare of a year but summed up ds was sent home for tantrums over 10 times, suspended 3 times, violently attacked students, and staff. The kids pick on him, they don't want to play with him. There have been many days where he's been crying and crying that he doesn't want to go to school and/or begging to stay home. Every year has gotten worse, he just finshed 2nd grade (with 2 years of K)

His dr's all think he should be in the special school too.

Anyone I'm
: there are some studies out there that someone knows about that show that being with other as kids can help as kids learn social skills better than being with no as kids. Or anything around that area.

We're waiting on a neuropsych report that's going to reccomend the special school to continue mediation but in the meantime I'd like to get as much stuff together as I can too

·
Registered
832 Posts
It sounds like between his past experiences at school, and your md's reports you have a lot of evidence for your case. I don't know of any studies but I will look around. I know the big push over the past few decades has been for full inclusion and I think the tide is just starting to turn now with people realizing that full inclusion is definitely not for everyone. The thought of my sweet boy learning social skills from some typical kids I know scares the heck out of me!

Maybe someone at the AS school has links to studies?

Good Luck and I'd love to hear how this turns out for you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
ds is 9 dx ppd/autism we're trying to get him into an autism spectrum school. We're in mediation right now. One of the schools counter arguments is that ds would back slide socially if we went to an as school because some of the kids there "aren't good role models" and that he's better off learning social skills in a mainstream enviroment

I'm going to skip the details of this nightmare of a year but summed up ds was sent home for tantrums over 10 times, suspended 3 times, violently attacked students, and staff. The kids pick on him, they don't want to play with him. There have been many days where he's been crying and crying that he doesn't want to go to school and/or begging to stay home. Every year has gotten worse, he just finshed 2nd grade (with 2 years of K)

His dr's all think he should be in the special school too.

This isn't a real answer to your question, but it is what we did. When my first Asperger boy was younger he had a lot of tantrums. It seemed like he never stopped crying. It was a constant roller coaster ride. I'd always wanted to homeschool, and that's what I chose to do with him. He wasn't diagnosed, but I knew something was going on with him, and worked really hard to understand him, and help him understand himself.

Anyway, by third grade things changed and he had to go to public school. He did pretty well. In fourth grade he totally blossomed. He is popular, gets good grades, and is in a mainstream classroom. The schools in our county are excellent, and he's in the best one for children with Asperger's. We are very fortunte there.

In the end this has all worked out very well for him. There is no way he could have handled a mainstream classroom at a younger age, but by giving him a lot of extra help and support, he's now doing really well in that environment. Part of that is because his school has special services for Asperger's kids, though he's not in an Asperger's class. His teachers do know more about how to handle him than some.

I'm not saying that your son has the same needs that mine does, or that you should homeschool (though if you get stuck you could consider that while you wait for him to start at the school you want him in). I guess my point is that things can get better, sometimes, and someday you may have more options.

Good Luck!

Kiley

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to take even a year and homeschool him BUt I work ft (gone 11.5hrs a day
) I think a break from the kids would help him. Mainstreaming with Christopher though just isn't working every year is worse and worse.

The school we want only takes referals from the school system so I don't know if they'll have any info but it'll be owrth a call. I might have C's therapist call since he knows a few people one staff and have talked to them about C's case and they think he'd be a good fit there.

Also C's school won't even give him an aide never mind speical autism services
:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
honestly, I don't think you need studies- every time a district person says "what about social" or whatever other area, just point them back to the eval that recomends the special environment. the thinking has been done. you know? that's what the expert opinion is for- they can accept it or fight it, but you don't need to prove the Dr's case to them scientifically.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't have any studies but I had the same issue with my DD this year. I finally told the school I was no longer available to pick her up. After doing that twice the school system agreed that she needed an out of district placement. It was really hard not to go get her because I knew she was miserable but I also knew that as long as I picked her up when they called nothing would ever change.She was sent home 14 times and suspended twice within 1 week during the 4th quarter.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
For anyhelp with special needs children contact the following people:

NJ Coaliton for Inclusive Education
NJCIE.net 732-613-0400
Ask them to direct you to your state parent advocate association. I use this associaton for my sons and battling the school. Make sure you have a parent advocate who strongly knows your laws for special education. They will get you what you need. You do have to go to war with the school, you may have to contact an attorney etc. But, I found the advocates to know more than anyone I have come in contact with and if your son isn't being offered adaptive strategies such as in and out of resource room, an aide etc.. you can choose whereever you want to go. Also, if your DS is not responding to resource or adaptive things another school that understands autism is fantastic. My experience is that no one that is a regular teacher or a regualr principal, nurse, gym teahcer etc.. gets special education. Don't be afraid or confused to put him with people who understand his needs and know how to help him.

Our children don't have to be cookie cutter kids. Let them be who they were born to be. If he is rageful and difficult due to his autism than don't force him into a world where everyone is a cookie cutter. He is just as wonderful and beautiful and needs his own way.

Are you going above your school to the county and state levels? Have you place complaints? Are they clear you are getting an attorney and not tolerating anything less of what your son is entitled to by the law?

Find an advocate first and than contact an attorney that will counsel over the phone . Don't let it go on anymore.

Helpful? I am so upset for you!!

Marie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.