Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am constantly correcting my 5 1/2 year old son. He picks his nose and eats it, in any setting. He still puts a lot of toys, etc in his mouth and sucks on his fingers, bites his nails, picks a his fingers, and snorts up snot. All of these things drive me crazy and I feel like I am constantly telling him to stop doing something. I don't want to be so negative all the time but I feel like all of these things need to be addressed. I don't know how else but to ask hi to stop when I see him doing it.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
My first thought was to wonder if he is a little anxious since at least a few of those behaviors are soothing or temporarily feel like they relieve stress (sucking and biting nails). Sometimes offering a replacement can help. Was he a baby that needed a lot of oral soothing? Like nursing all the time, pacifier, etc.? In catalogues there are some really cool 'chewy' type things that he could use to meet the oral need without impacting his body. Are the adults in the home nail or cheek biters? (I have been somewhat amazed at how many of these types of things seem to be actually hereditary in terms of the tendency.)

For the nose picking, try some problem solving instead of rule setting. Find out if he is getting rocky boogers that are uncomfortable. Perhaps drinking more water or using a mist humidifier in his room might help. Teach him to go in the bathroom and 'take care of his nose' with a tissue and then wash his hands. An old professor of mine used to say 'everybody picks their nose, we just learn how to do it more discretely!' I thought that was funny. So it is discretion you really want to teach. As far as eating it, I think he will just grown out of that and these are germs that are already in his body, so no new exposure there. But you shouldn't have to watch it if it grosses you out! He can be taught to go in the bathroom to do it, then check hands that they've been washed. I would reduce all emotionality while teaching this; very matter of fact "we do that in the bathroom, I'll wait for you," and no harsh judgment.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Everyone does it, no one likes to watch. Just make him excuse himself to the bathroom and tell him to wash his hands when done. Making him go away EACH and EVERY time he picks his nose will soon get very boring for him and he'll decrease doing it in the presence of others.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is an example of the chew necklace things:
http://www.arktherapeutic.com/arks-...ew-necklace/?gclid=CJvOjryC-MsCFQFahgod6ecB6A

We've had great luck with potty humor by joking with DD: "talk to the potty." She says it to us sometimes and sometimes I can hear her singing potty based songs in the bathtub.

Nose picking is a problem if he injured his nose (which it sounds like he's not)- and then you have the "natural consequences" of pain or bleeding. The other problem is putting your fingers in your mouth (boogers or not). So if you want see him picking, ask him to go to the bathroom, wash his hands, then take care of the boogers.

The gross, snotty stuff is a little trickier. Someday maybe he'll get how it impacts others but really I was in my teens before I stopped grossing out my parents with hocking loogies (wow, can't spell that one).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts