Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making an egg the other day and decided to add some leftover salmon to it. Big mistake because now my cast iron skillet smells like nasty fish. I have tried cleaning it a few times, but the smell is still there when it dries. Any ideas how to get the smell out?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Uck!!! I know the smell you are talking about.What happens if you heat it up quite hot and then put the shortening on it(or whatever oil you use)... does the heating kill any of the stink?? Who knows... my guess is as good as yours at this point... baking soda? Lemon juice?.... but that might strip your seasoning a bit.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Kosher, because it has larger crystals, and makes getting the salt out, easier. I just heat the oil in it, and when the oil is warm, add the salt. Scrub it a bit when it cools off a little, then let the oil and salt sit for a while, scrub and rinse with water to get the last of the salt out, then repeat if necessary with the salt, or just the oil. . . .

·
Registered
542 Posts
The same happened to me. I fried salmon on mine and it was not that fresh and it left the pan smelling really fishy. I washed it and put it on the stove to dry and the smell made me want to gag. I did not know what to do to get rid of the smell. I just went about my business. I used it for my everyday cooking except I would not warm up the tortillas on it. This was a week and a half ago and the smells are gone now. If you can tolerate it, it will go away. Trust me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts