Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably wondering a little early about this, but, I am due in July. I started cloth when my second was 6 mos and oldest almost 2 so I have a stash of premuim CPFs and some AIOs med/lg that have worked fine with both. I have nothing small for a newborn/infant stages. Looking back, the premium CPFs were HUGE on my 6month old then. Her clothes hardly fit.

So, my question is...how many CPFs would I need with newborn (I am used to doing diaper wash daily from having two in diapers). Should I get NB size AND infant size or are NB used for so short that it is not worth it? Also, what is a good cover to avoid the breastmilk poo blowouts? We use Motherease covers, which I think are so much better than the Bummis I have which seem to leak more. Also, how many covers? I'm guessing you go through them more frequently as they get soiled easier with a NB?

Any help/mamas' experience would be helpful. I know what I am doing with cloth, but the newborn in cloth seems like a whole new ballgame to me.

THANKS!

· Registered
1,241 Posts
we use nb cloths still and she is 3 months. she is on the smaller end though. its almost time to get new prefolds. the covers i used are bummis and some wahm made ones. we started out with 3 covers and found that we needed more because of blow outs. now that she is older we don't need as much. although there was one day in which seh went through 3 covers.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is 2 dozen cpf enough in NB size? It seems like a dozen may be cutting it a little close even with daily washing. Then I'll need to get infant size after a few months? Do covers come in NB and infant sizes or are they birth to 15 or 20 lbs?

Thanks for any help!

· Registered
546 Posts
If you plan to wash daily then 2 dozen might be enough, but to be safe I would get 3 dozen. I would skip the newborn size cpfs and get the infant ones, though. It's easy to fold them down to fit a smaller baby.
It's easy to find Nb/Small covers .. I suggest Proraps - they're gusseted and so work great with pfs, and are also very affordable.

· Registered
2,498 Posts
CPF's come in "preemie" and "infant" size. You are talking about Chinese prefolds, right? (If you are talking about the Indian prefolds, I'm not the one to ask- never tried 'em! :LOL)

Anyway, the preemie size is really small. I can't imagine them lasting longer than a month or so at the most. The infant size should fit well after that.

I started CD'ing my DS when he was 2 mos. old and about 10 lbs. He went right into the "infant" size CPF's and small covers at that size and they fit him perfectly. He wore the infant size until he was 7 months old, too (trifolded)!

Since newborns need to be changed so often, I would go for 36 infant size CPF's. Maybe order one preemie CPF to see how long you think it would fit your baby based on the sizes of your other two kids and their growth patterns.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!

· Registered
4,207 Posts
For my newborn, I use about 2 doz infant prefolds and I start off with Bumkins vented newborn size covers. Then I move to Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. They are usually in regular size prefolds and medium Bummis by 4 months or so.

· Registered
10,826 Posts
There are some sale items I ran into for newborns...
www.holdenslanding.com had newborn wool covers and www.tykiediapers.com had some newborn items on sale too. I used preemie prefolds on my 36 week preemie for about 2 months... Skip them if you are expecting an average size baby. I use infants on him now, but trifolded the opposite of the stitching so they are a little shorter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.