Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ONLY name (so far) that DH and I both like for a boy is Leo. DH really wants to have a longer name that can be shortened to Leo. It was the same with our son Max- We liked the name Max, then decided which longer version we liked best. We went with Maximus.

So the only two long versions for Leo that we can come up with are Leonardo and Leopold. I think we have vetoed Leonardo because it sounds like such a strong Italian name, and neither of us have any Italian heritage. Not that it matters, but it just seems odd to us. So, right now we're down to Leopold.

I don't HATE it, I just don't LOVE it. I think "Max and Leo, Maximus and Leopold" are kind of cute together. Leopold just sounds so fancy... regal. I guess Maximus does, too though!

Any other ideas for longer names that could be shortened to Leo? My brothers name is Lawrence, I thought we could use that and shorten it to Leo, but that might be a stretch.

Made up names are fine, too... doesn't have to be a traditional name or anything...

· Registered
4,192 Posts
Leonard

Leonid - like the meteor shower

Leon (silly aside, my great grandfather's middle name was leon, and every christmas somebody sneakily rearranges the "NOEL" blocks we have to say "LEON." It's been done since back when those blocks were actually in my great grandfather's house).

· Registered
2,096 Posts
I thought of Leon too!

There's also Napoleon, Galileo, Leonel, Gilleon...

· Registered
194 Posts
Hi there OP! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that you named one son Maximus and are looking at Leo for the 2nd. My DS#1 is Maximos (greek spelling vs the latin/roman spelling that you used) and this babe, DS#2 will be Leo (Leonidas after St. Leonidas, not the Spartan dude...still greek though!).

We were going with Leopold, but then decided to go with a Saint's name as the first name. Good luck with your decision, I do like all of the names that you've suggested.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great minds think alike! Actually, Leonidas is one that DH likes as well. That is so funny.

Leopold is growing on us both. I do like Galileo, too... it just is quite a lot to live up to! heh heh. I hadn't thought of Gilleon, that's neat, too.

· Registered
153 Posts
Well I absolutely love the name Leopold. I think it is an awesome name. And for the record we almost named our son Maximus, but went with a family name at the last minute so you know I love that name too. I think those two names go together beautifully.

Leonidus is a good alternative for Leo; it is Greek and means king of the lions. Expect a strong personality with a name like that, lol.

· Registered
372 Posts
We picked Leon as our name because we like all in one names, without shortening
But it's also because it's a family name, so it was a natural choice.

I think all of the names you are considering are nice! Good luck deciding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.