Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas, - this is a little long, I appologize in advance!

This is my second dc, so you would think I would not be so clueless, but my dd was opposite of this when it came to BF.... He is 8 days old & a GREAT latcher/nurser, BUT ----

Problem #1 - FULL BREASTS!!!! I become so engorged every 2-3 hours that it is amazingly painful & breasts get hot, and you can feel each individual duct. This is the worst at night. I have tried to avoid pumping, but I have needed to once a night just to relieve the fullness. When I do Pump only for about 2-3 minutes ( I don't want to completely empty, cause I would like my body to fugre out it is making too much ) I will get about 3 oz on one side, and then have hime try to empty the other. I have also tries to nurse for just 3-5 minutes a side -as not to fill him up so he gets sick, but they are still soo full after that too....

Is this normal? Am I not giving my body enough time to adjust? Should I not pump (OUCH!!) ?

Problem #2 - Ds is great at latching on, and nursing!!!! BUT my breasts are SOOO full that milk comes down super fast & he is literally GULPING each swollow. I have tried to take him off after 2-3 swollows to burp him, but he freaks out & won't burp - or he does burp & I continue to do this throughout the nursing session & he still spits up what appears to be everything that he ate. He gets really upset when he needs to burp & spit up, but patting his back doesn't seem to help, its like he needs to just get it out on his own (?)
He is having at least 6-10 wet & 4-6 poops, so I know he is getting the milk....

Is it something I am eating that makes him spit up so much? Is this just cause he is little, and needs to adjust to the amt of milk at let down? Any thoughts?

Sorry for the book
, I just really want to figure out how to make him feel better & not spit up so much while not having painful breasts all day in the process

Thanks so much Mamas!!!
Laura

·
Registered
794 Posts
congrats on your new little guy! 8 days is really really early for your milk supply, so engorgement is absolutely normal. i am not sure what the average is for milk supply to even out to just what baby needs, but it took me 6-7 weeks.

i, of course, got incredibly engorged. i used cabbage leaves a few days and cold compresses a couple days too.

since you have an overactive let down that is hard for ds to tolerate, could you pump just a tiny bit before he nurses so he doesn't get that initial letdown? i would be leary of limiting the time on each breast. for one, he is probably only getting foremilk and he needs the hindmilk too. and two, it is important for your body to get a sense of his appetite and eating habits so your supply will correctly even out.

i am no help on the spitting up, but my guess is that it's related to the overactive letdown. just a guess though.

hang in there! i bet other mommas have some advice too

kris
owen, 12 months

·
Registered
683 Posts
Try hand expressing some off of the top at the beginning of a feeding to slow the flow a bit. I would also have him nurse from one side only at each feeding. That way, the other breast wouldn't be as stimulated and he would also be getting foremilk/hindmilk. Pump off only as much as you need to on the unused breast to fight engorgement.

If overactive letdown continues, you may have to limit feedings to one side for several hours until you balance out. I would be careful trying this so early on, though. It took me 3 weeks of 8 hrs a side to balance out.

I did not burp my baby.
EVER. My mother was convinced he'd explode, but he was fine. I figured that I knew when to burp, so he'd know when he needed to burp better than I did. He didn't have problems spitting up or gas pains. A lot of the burping in our culture came from air swallowed during bottle feeding. There's a lot less air swallowed during BF. As far as spitting up everything he ate, if he's still peeing and pooping well, you know he's getting enough!! Trust your body and your baby!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Seems like great advice here! Keep nursing him on demand and hang in there! Keep an eye out for mastitis (everyone should, not just you with your ample supply boobies!) as you're not emptying completely. But really, you probably just have to be patient as it will take some time for your supply to balance.

I agree with the PP's that you might want to consider letting down into a towel or something so he's not getting so much foremilk and the huge rush!

Congrats on your boy and on having ample milk and a good latcher!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mamas! I have been doing the one side only feeding since yesterday afternoo per your advice & that seems to help with the spitting up, but he still gets really upset when he has to burp or poo. I don't think that I am eating anything that would be upsetting, but if i were, any thoughts on what to cut out of my diet first? Again, this may just be him adjusting to the flow & nursing as a whole.

I really appreciate all of the help & anyone that wants to add more please do!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I am unfortunately for me, but maybe fortunately for you? very experienced with oversupply and overactive letdown. It tends to get "worse" with each child due to the continued breast development and increased efficiency of milk-making with each baby. I have had 5 babies.... you do the math!

I found that cabbage leaves are a godsend. You can only use them for ONE HOUR at a time or they will dry up your milk too much. They greatly reduce engorgement! It's really amazing how well they work.

The one side per feeding trick does help a LOT.

Be VERY wary of mastitis. Drink plenty of fluids, dehydration is a major contributor to mastitis. Never ever wear underwire bras. I know some moms can get away with it, but with oversupply we don't have that option. I have learned this by PAINFUL experience!

Instead of "burping" your baby the way they do on TV, try holding him high on your shoulder, and rubbing gently but firmly up his back. It works like a charm to calm and soothe and help the baby relax and burp.

For the other kind of gas, I found out when I started trying Elimination Communication that the "potty position" used for EC really helps babies get the gas out! It was really cool. I'd hold DS with my hands under his thigs in a "squat" type position, and he'd fart these BIG farts and grin... It was great! Whether or not you choose to try EC, this position is a great tool to have in your baby comfort measures toolbox!

As far as spitting up... it could be from swallowing all that air. My mom used to say the poor baby expects a drinking straw, and then they get a firehose! So I used to joke about my "firehose boobies." Those suckers will spray 3-6 feet from my body depending on how long it's been since the last feeding.

For *me* my babies would projectile vomit when I had anything containing pineapple. Milk products gave two of them a NASTY rash all over their bodeis, I had to go dairy-free for months. That was hard, but totally worth it.

Some common allergy culprits, if you want to pursue the foods angle:
Wheat, corn, soy, dairy, citrus, shellfish, berries, peanuts and tree nuts. I wouldn't try and eliminate all of them at once, but maybe one of them will ring a bell? If you do decide to eliminate a suspected problem food, you have to go at it obsessively for at least 6 weeks to get it ALL out of your system, then reintroduce it. Some people will say "I went completely off milk for two whole days and nothing happened..." Well, you have to stick with it longer than that to get any valid result! Plus you have to read labels. Sodium caseinate, casein, whey, nonfat milk solids and "natural flavors" are in a lot of things, and can be a hidden source of dairy proteins! Even "non-dairy" coffe creamers and whipped toppings contain milk protein products. So why is it labeled "non-dairy?!!" Who knows.

Anyways, I hope this helps, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about life with firehose boobies.

Kathryn

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mamas - just thought I would let you all know that things seem to be going a little better

Things that are helping ( incase you want to know
)

1. nursing on one side per feeding. ( helps babe with the intake amt. ) and is slowly helping to regulate my supply. I do have to pump a little, but trying to wait til absolutely needed.

2. Kittykats suggestion od rubbing babies back firmly instead of traditional burping - seems to make a HUGE difference in his relaxong & letting out air! THANKS!

3. Holding babe in basically a sitting up football hold - and reclinging myself, so gravity is on his side, not mine for letting down

4. Last is from a La Leche League leader that I contacted - for the gas I have been lying him on his back & periodically ( gently ) pushing his knees up into his tummy & this is VERY effective at helping him let the gas out.

THANKS AGAIN for all of your help!! MDC is a life saver again!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.