Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've never really been to this part of MDC before, so I hope you all don't mind me coming here for help with a question.

I have 2 adult, male cats, both have been fixed and have had their first shots (both were from the pound, I got them both from previous owners.) The younger of the cats (3 years old, approx, he was a stray) I've only had for a few months now. He has been a fantastic cat up till now, no behavior problems, very happy and playful, and very, very clean, but has just started peeing all over the place in the last 2 days. I think he may be sick, because he's licking his genital area a lot, seems to be a bit uncomfortable, and is avoiding contact with me and my ds (up till now he's been a cuddle-hound who wakes me up every morning by literally falling over on my head.)

I'm not sure what to do, I can't afford to take him to the vet until payday on Wednesday. The older cat has been a bit, shall we say, jealous? They usually get along ok, but in the last few weeks he's been nipping at the other cats genitals and sometimes taking swipes at him. I'm worried that the cat has a urinary tract infection, or that the other cat has wounded him in a non-obvious way (there is no visible wound.) Is there anything I can do for him dietarily, or otherwise, to help him recover? And what would be the most likely reason for a cat to suddenly start peeing in odd places, when he's never done that before (he's also having trouble producing much urine, and is meowing and making noises while he's peeing, that makes me think he's in pain or uncomfortable.)

I feed them both Cat Chow (I know, I know, I have fed my cats a homemade diet in the past, but right now I'm a single, working mom, and none of us are eating all that great. Changing his food would be an option, if anyone can recommend a good brand, but making homemade food is not right now, unless anyone has any suggestions for making homemade cat food as easily as possible.) He has lots of fresh water available. He doesn't go outside, except on our balcony, where he digs in my flower pots, mostly.

Any suggestions or observations? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
My guess is either a UTI or possibly kidney stones. Since this has happened all at once. I dont know of anything you can do to fix either one of those without vet help though.

I hope he gets better soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.