Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4.5 yr old DS is generally pretty well mannered and polite but we have been having major issues with him "talking back." I almost hate to call it that but don't know what else to term it.

Any time I say something he doesn't like (including rules) he answers back really snotty...sometimes it's yelled at me and sometimes it's muttered under his breath...

Example: So we're setting up a game and he was putting all the pieces in upside down (which would render playing the game almost impossible.) So I say "X those have to face up or we can't play." He said "you don't know." So I explained how I did know, and also the logic behind the pieces needing to face a certain way. So then I started fixing the pieces and said "see when they're like this we can pick them up easier" and then under his breath he mutters "the pieces are easy to pick up when they're upside down."

Now I realize this sounds dumb b/c we're just talking about a game...but it's just one of many instances that are adding up.

I don't even really know how to describe to him what he's doing that's so wrong...but I don't want to let him get away with disrespecting me either.

The issue is compounded by the fact that he has a piece-of-work-stepmother who seems hell bent on undermining my authority as a parent and convincing my son that she's his favorite person and that i'm "evil" for giving him time-outs.

Please help!!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
personally, I'd just let him speak his mind. I once read in a parenting book that the author refuses to argue with anyone over 2.5 y/o. They have way too much energy and enjoy arguing. Sometimes they just like being silly... my ds is at that age too... I don't think he means to disrespect you. If it's not dangerous, unhealthy or immoral, I would just let it go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.