Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about this in the toddler section.

I tried reward methods(stickers a toy) it don't work. I tried fun looking character toothbrush tigger & pooh, I also tried a electric tigger toothbrush didn't work.

My son says No too toothbrushing and I don't want him to be scared of toothbrushing. He already has had 2 cavities and I have tried to put sugar out of his diet but his grandma keeps giving Him the sugar.

I try to do it the polite way but that won't work that I will have to literally hold him down , hold his hands which is like nearly not enough because I have to try to keep his head still & his mouth open.

So it's such a rough situation that when I try to get into his mouth he moves around that it brushes wrong areas that causes him to have a very bloody mouth.

I have even tried to get him to brush my teeth and he just hands me the toothbrush and says me down.

The only way he don't struggle is with someone else and I don't know why he can't see the difference as in Why fight with me when You don't fight with others & it done quicker with others but when you struggle with me it takes longer.

I can not 'depend' on someone else being there I wonder if maybe my next door neighbor & her kid could arrange a brushing teeth session.

I get so frustrated and my son gets so freaked out by me over this because it seems like I am being some sort of mean mom.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If he lets others do it, then it sounds like it has turned into a power struggle with you. I would back off a bit. I know you are worried about the cavities but backing off a little isn't going to kill anyone. Besides if he already has a couple cavities, there is probably more going on than just poor brushing (as a kid I had tons of cavities because my teeth had weak enamel due to some other issues). My ds was very much the same way and we went through a very frustrating period. I briefly toyed with the idea of holding him down, but come on, let's get real. That would never work, he was too wiggly and it would only succeed in making the entire situation worse. We tried lots of things and most only worked for a week or two but I just kept changing it up, asking for ideas from friends and getting creative.

1)We played dentist (he would lie on my outstretched legs with his head in my lap)
2) Letting him pick out lots of different toothbrushes and then each night he could pick the one he wanted (the kid has about 10 brushes
)
3) Letting him brush his own teeth even though it wasn't a perfect job (I would ask to check but not insist) with me doing some upbeat coaching
4) Making up stories to go with the toothbrushes (one of the best was pooh bear needing honey from the honey tree...his mouth was the tree and the food particles were the honey)
5) Letting him come in the bathroom whenever I brushed my teeth...he usually wanted to mimic me

The important thing was to be upbeat, encouraging, and positive about his efforts or cooperation while still trying to teach him a little bit. Make it as playful as you can and as little like work. And remember...like so many toddler moments, this too shall pass.

My son is almost 3 now and it is never a battle anymore, he runs to the sink to "brush the monsters off his teeth before they eat holes" every night (for those that are thinking I am trying to scare my child into it with the monster story, you are way off base...it is just the latest in a series of creative stories we use together) and even voluntarily throughout the day. He will even let me do some brushing now to be doubly sure.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
We went through this with DS at about that age. The good news is that it did get better. We had some success with the PP mentioned -- let him pick out toothbrushes at the store and then which one each night. He still has about a dozen of them. DS was especially fond of the spinning ones. I also let him do his own teeth with the thought that a little was better than nothing and only "helped" about every 3 or 4 days. Not great, but better than nothing and better than holding him down screaming. Let's see, we also bought some special books that only got read while he was brushing his teeth. He got really into watching the timer while he brushed. He really liked teaching his little sister to brush and they do best now when they are trying to see who can brush the best.

None of these things worked all the time and none of them worked for very long. It was sort of a matter of coming up with something new every couple of weeks. Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My 10 month old has 6 teeth and he refusing to let me brush his teeth also. The little finger brushes do not work because he bites me, and when I use a regular brush he bites that.

I would like to hear some suggestions also.

:

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
We make teeth brushing a game. Sometimes we pretend that there are dinasaurs in his mouth that need a massage. Or we sing the abcs with our mouth full of toothbrush, which sounds funny. Usually I brush my teeth at the same time as him and we "race". And when he is all done, I ask him how wide he can open his mouth while he shouts "AHHHH!!!" and I finish up to make sure they are clean. Also, we brush his dolls' teeth and his trucks' teeth, which makes teeth brushing seem more fun.

And we also do question games: "does sugar (our dog) brush her teeth?"
"No!!" "Does Julian (4 month old) brush his teeth?" "No!!" "Does Mimi (my mom) brush her teeth?" "Yes!" "Does your bike brush its teeth?" "No!!" etc. Then finally, "Does DANNY brush his teeth?" "YES!!!"

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion'smommy
My 10 month old has 6 teeth and he refusing to let me brush his teeth also. The little finger brushes do not work because he bites me, and when I use a regular brush he bites that.

I would like to hear some suggestions also.

:
I wouldn't worry about it. That's what my ped told me. Especially if you are not feeding him a high sugar diet.

For the OP, I agree on backing off, especially if it's been hurting him. Take a break, maybe let him use mouthwash or something in the meantime, or chew on some carrots before bedtime, and re-approach it later.

When you do, we've tried games of pretending my dd is various animals (predators, usually), and I have to clean out all the things she ate that day. For example, she's a lion, and she ate a zebra, giraffe, wildebeast, etc. and they're all stuck in her teeth. I ham it up and she thinks it's pretty fun. I think any game you can come up with will probably improve the whole process.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Somewhere on here I heard dentist telling moms that breast feeding during the night will increase cavities.

He doesn't eat sugar, but he sure nurses a lot during the night!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyJulian89
And we also do question games: "does sugar (our dog) brush her teeth?"
"No!!" "Does Julian (4 month old) brush his teeth?" "No!!" "Does Mimi (my mom) brush her teeth?" "Yes!" "Does your bike brush its teeth?" "No!!" etc. Then finally, "Does DANNY brush his teeth?" "YES!!!"
We did a similar one with remembering what he'd eaten for the day, "ooh I see some apple" "I see some bagel" and so forth. We'd put in silly stuff "ooh I see a house" and that sort of thing.

Singing also seemed to help a lot for us. Raffi has a song about teeth brushing. With any of these techniques I think you need to mix it up. It also helps to put toothbrushing right before a more desirable part of the routine like reading so there is an incentive to get it done and move on to something else.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Breastfeeding does NOT cause tooth decay...Breastmilk contains lactoferrin which inhibits decay and bacteria. Tooth decay is caused by the strep mutans bacteria...which is easily transmittable from moms or dads or caregivers.

FOOD particles left on teeth cause decay. Plain and simple.

now..on to toothbrushing... my dd is 35 mos and hates it. but it has to be done. yes, she yells sometimes, but i do it quick and its over. I'm just not willing to let her teeth rot over her "not wanting to brush". I hate to make her yell, but I would hate even worse to put her under general anesthesia to have $3000 worth of tooth repair done. So I choose the lesser of two evils.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My DD gets amazingly compliant when I hold one of her "friends" (small stuffed animal, toy car, plastic animal toy, whatever,) in the same hand I'm holding the toothbrush and have it say "Oh, Rosaline can _I_ help you brush your teeth tonight!!!???!!!" She will say "Yes, thank you seahorse" (or whatever the creature is,) and will open her mouth and just stand still. STILL!!!!!!
That never happens when I try to do it -- I get the bobbing monster. Up and down and up and down and tongue sticking out and
:

So I always, now, bring in the toy she was playing with before bed and that's the one that brushes her teeth.

The thrill will probably wear off eventually but for now it's solving what was clearly headed in the power-struggle direction.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bamamom

now..on to toothbrushing... my dd is 35 mos and hates it. but it has to be done. yes, she yells sometimes, but i do it quick and its over. I'm just not willing to let her teeth rot over her "not wanting to brush". I hate to make her yell, but I would hate even worse to put her under general anesthesia to have $3000 worth of tooth repair done. So I choose the lesser of two evils.

this had been my take as well. I have always brushed their teeth since they were babies and didnt have teeth... i brushed their gums with the finger thing. Its not a choice, but I also dont make a big deal out of it, its just part of our bedtime routine. Jammies,, teeth, potty, books bed. If someone isnt in the mood and is over tired, etc, I have on occasion skipped brushing (which funnily enough they will be like.... 'Hey i need to brush my teeth!!') but I usually just stick to a quick brushing those nights. I try to make it short and sweet. This is what has worked for us, and unbelievably my very strong willed dd has not objected to teeth brushing yet and she is almost 3, although she does insist on getting her own toothbrush and putting the toothpaste on and having a turn at them herself...lol

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The only way I can brush my 15-month-old's teeth is by holding her upside down and doing it quickly. She laughs and laughs.

She loves "brushing" her own teeth, but that mostly involves putting the toothbrush under the water and then just chewing on it. For months, that's what we did - she'd come upstairs with me in the morning when I brushed my own teeth and stand on the sink with my arm around her, and she'd essentially pretend to brush hers while I did mine. I thought that was okay when all she had was incisors, but now that her first molars are in, I think she needs more.

We just introduced toothpaste for the first time - Tom's of Maine fluoride-free "silly strawberry." Now she stands at the foot of the stairs and calls, "teeth! teeth!", and when we're done brushing them she reaches for the toothpaste and says "again!" But she still doesn't want *me* to brush them - she wants to suck on the toothbrush. Hence the upside-down routine.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I used to have to hold ds down and brush his teeth--it was awful! then I did what someone on this forum suggested. I told him that Winnie the Pooh and Tigger were bouncing around on his teeth ("look, there's Tigger on the top, oops, no, he just bounced down to the bottom teeth!"). You can use whatever funny animal or character that your ds likes. It worked the very first time I tried it--ds just sat there with his mouth open and let me brush--and it's continued to work every time. I don't know why, but I'm not going to question it!

·
Banned
843 Posts
Have you tried a finger brush? There are some soft plastic finger brushes that work well for infants and toddlers and you can use a yummy toothpaste with them. I also found that playing for while first and then tipping dd upside down and getting as much as I could worked well when she was feeling like not having her teeth brushed. It may also help to let him watch you brush your teeth and give him a toothbrush with a little toothpaste and let him do some.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My ds is 3 1/2 and he still screams and puts up a fuss. He absolutely hates it. It's awful. I've tried all the tricks. My son has sensory issues though so what works for many, doesn't work with him.
He will only use one certain toothpaste (Dr Burts for children) and will gag/vomit if I try any other kind.
I just want to be able to fully brush his teeth every night. I have absolutely horrible teeth (always have) and I'm so afraid of ds having cavities.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
i'm not sure i have any advice for your situation, but for younger babies just getting started... here's what we did:

-made it part of his routine... at bedtime he nurses first, then brushes teeth, then we read books and then either dh walks him to sleep or i nurse him to sleep.
-made it a routine routine
we brush his teeth first, then he gets to brush his, then we ask him to put it in the sink when he's done, and he does.
-we try to make it fun - i talk about which teeth i'm brushing in a silly voice when i do it, and i'll let him brush my teeth while i'm brushing his - he loves this!
-working on now having him say "ahhh" for cleaning the backs of the teeth and "eee" for the fronts.

my understanding with nursing and cavities is that it's the interaction between food particles on the teeth and the sugars in breastmilk that can be a problem - the sticky food stuck on the tooth will absorb BM and keep it right up against the tooth where the bacteria can feast on the sugars. i feel comfortable letting DS nurse all night since we brush his teeth after his last food of the day and before bedtime.

to the OP - other things you can do for dental health while you're getting past the toothbrushing thing - be careful not just with sugars in his diet but also refined carbs - those stick to teeth so well and get digested down to sugar by saliva in the mouth. crackers, bread, etc... nuts (if he's eating those yet) and cheese help turn the pH level in the mouth unfriendly for the s. mutans bacteria that cause tooth decay. so if he's been eating carbs, encourage him to finish up with a snack of something that will help prevent tooth decay. also... i'm not an expert on this, but probiotics might help rebalance the bacteria in his mouth so that the bad ones aren't so dominant. maybe you can start with these tactics and ease off on forcing toothbrushing for a few days or a week, and then introduce toothbrushing in a new way

1 - 18 of 18 Posts