Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I was wondering if I could get some tips from anybody who is experienced with wet felting. I've been making some simple balls for my DD using wool and ivory soap. After letting a ball air dry, I've been rinsing it in hot and then cold water to get the soap out and then putting the ball in pantyhose and throwing it in the dryer. The problem is that the ball gets stuck to the pantyhose and I have a really hard time getting it back out. Any suggestions for seperating ball from hose? Or other ways to get the soap out and firm the ball up?
TIA!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
How big are the balls? I made some easter eggs a few years ago and they stuck to the hose a little but it was pretty easy to pull it out. I would imagine if the balls are small it might get more tangled. Did you stretch the hose when you put the balls in? You can always air dry if the balls are well felted. A hair drier would speed things up as well (or out in the sun depending on where you are).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The balls start out softball size and shrink down to tennis ball size once they've been through the dryer. I really like the solidity that the dryer brings to the feel of the balls which is why I haven't just been air drying them...but a hairdryer might do the trick.

I haven't been stretching the hose beforehand but I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have this book on loan from the library: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Feltmaking.../dp/0823002624

The tips in this book have helped me to trim down the amount of time it takes me to make felted wool balls! It takes me now about 15 mins. from start to finish. I do it all by hand, so no washer, dryer, or pantyhose and I'm really happy with the results! The kids can even play with the felted ball while wet right after I've finished making it.

Sorry to leave you in suspence, but I'll try to post the directions on how I make my felted balls. But please try to get the book if you can since there are great instructions on how to make wet felted figures, finger-puppets, masks, ropes, beads, etc. in this book.

Happy felting!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Earthhugging Mama!
I'll check out the book...and I'll stay tuned for your tips (once you have time to post them)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Before it sticks to the stocking (or as it starts to ) take it out and continue your process. Put it in dryer without stocking. It won;t be falling apart or losing woll once the fibre starts to cling to nylon. I have made 100s and do it with groups of children regularly. Everything sounds right except leaving it in the stocking too long.

Happy felting!

Annie

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know you said wet felting, but I've had a great deal of luck with needle felting - it allows you to make felt critters, veggies, dolls, and, yes, felt balls. And no water at all, unless you want to finish it that way. Or even using it before wet felting just to tack the wool down so that it will felt easily & uniformly and maybe not go quite so nuts in the washer. :) Though I suspect that's more a function of the variety of wool than anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts