Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p><em>I just took my 5 1/2 year old to the dentist with success...the other time we went it didn't go so well. He has several cavaties between the teeth?? Considering he brushes frequently and has NO complaints I cannot believe it!! They want to treat it ASAP so he's scheduled for next week....Do I get a second opinion, or just handle it. They want him to take a sedative to keep him a bit more calm then he maybe if it dosen't go well to a hospital for oral children services to be put to sleep!! I am SO nervous!! Any opinions, experiences, suggestions??</em></p>
<p><em>Thank-you!</em></p>

·
Registered
195 Posts
<p>As someone who has been the victim of dental fraud -- and as someone who is married to a man who was the victim of orthodontic fraud -- I'd get a second opinion. There are good dentists and bad dentists (just like any kind of person) and unfortunately there are a few out there who will inflate the amount of work/urgency of work necessary to line their pockets. Kind of like the mechanic horror stories we've all heard (and maybe experienced).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can you see the cavities between his teeth? Did the dentist show them to you on x-ray? Regardless, I think when you're looking at an amount of dental work extensive enough that general anesthesia might be called for, a second opinion is very much justified.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That said, I'd be totally onboard with a sedative for dental work my kiddo needed but less so with general anesthesia, which carries some pretty significant risks (including, very very rarely, death).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oh, and I'd work on teaching your son to floss if he doesn't already. Cavities can definitely form invisibly between the teeth if they're closed spaced and flossing is the best preventative measure.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>--K</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts