Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....I am on my second round of nursing. We BF baby #3 for like 7 months and then literally like overnight I lost my milk...no explaination. Now we have beautiful baby #4 and I am determined to nurse her AS LONG as SHE wants...and I am trying to prevent any milk crisises. Problem...hubby and I are both in nursing school and she will be spending time with the sitter, and I am going to be going back to work at some point in the next month or so. She will only be with the sitter like 6 hours a week (other times DH will stay at school with her so I can nurse during class breaks). When I go back to work he will also bring her up once a shift to nurse. What else can I do though??? I have a ton of pumps so I will be pumping when away too, but what can I do herbally or with meds? What is domperidone???? How does it work??? I cannot loose my milk again at 7 months...I want to expereince the joy of nursing her as long as she needs. Thanks a ton!!!
Alicia
Please e-mail me or PM with advice ([email protected])

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Hi there!

Well, I think first it would be good for you to assume that everything will be just fine.
Try not to stress about it too much (easier said than done I'm sure). You definitely don't want to take anything to supplement your supply until you develop a problem (IF you develop a problem) - you definitely don't want an OVERsupply problem, that can be just as bad!

Domperidone is a drug that is used for gastointestinal upset. It is prescribed to infants as well as adults, so it is considered very safe to use while nursing.

Some women who pump while they work notice a bit of a decrease in supply after a while. Domperidone usually does an extremely effective job of increasing supply again.

You can find more info on domperidone here :

http://www.bfar.org/domperidone.shtml

In addition, I highly recommend reading Dr. Jack Newman's handouts if you haven't already. He has a lot of great info in there.

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/articles.htm

What type of pump are you going to use? I use the Medela Pump In Style and have pretty good results with it.

I'm sure everything will work out just fine - it sounds like you have a great game plan! And, since you'll be pumping, you'll be able to tell pretty effectively if your supply goes down, because you'll get a lot less when you pump.

Oh, one other thing - you might want to try pumping a few times before you go back to work. Some women don't get much milk when they pump and to some extent, the more you use a pump the more milk you'll get each time you use it - almost as though there's a learning curve for your breasts.

Hope this helps. I'm sure some more learned ladies will reply with some good info!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Speaking of Dr. Jack Newman, in his book "The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers," which is a WONDERFUL book, great for problem solving, he says domperadone is not available in the US. Maybe Reglan would be a better choice. It's a med for the digestive system, but it has the side effect of increasing milk supply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts