Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because I don't want any suggestions of weaning (that always seems to be the answer given when someone posts about problematic issues and I fully intend to CLW), but I do need help because lately I feel like I'm going insane! DS is almost 10 months old. Recently he has started this thing where he switches nipples constantly. He'll work on the first one for a minute, then squirm and kick to get the other one. It will be back and forth, back and forth, until he either decides he is done boobing it up or he starts falling asleep. While all the pulling off and latching back on again is generally uncomfortable, it is especially hard to deal with at night. I could sleep no problem if he woke in the night rolling over for nursies, but I just can't sleep through the constant switching of nipples! Is there any way to understand why he's doing this, and possible be able to figure out how to stop the constant switching? I've been just tolerating it for awhile but honestly my nerves are wearing thin and I've found myself getting entirely too frustrated when this happens for the third or fourth nursing session of the night...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It's tough when the nursing acrobatics are going full force, isn't it? I always keep the other nipple covered. If my dd can see it- she wants it.... I've just always only let her have one at a time.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I've noticed in the past that DS is more likely to do this if I am a bit dehydrated (I think the switching gives more nipple stimulation which brings in more milk). So, you might try drinking some water right before nursing and then drinking more as needed. It has helped me.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Frequent switching sides while breastfeeding usually helps stimulate your supply, so it may be that you have a bit of a dip in supply. (Nulrsings instinctually know to do this to help increase supply.) It's not uncommon for a mama's supply to dip when the weather gets hot and they get a bit dehydrated...or when mama is pregnant. You could try drinking more water and maybe some mama's milk tea to see if supply is the issue.

As far as what to do in the meantime/ if supply isn't an issue... talk to you child about nursing one side at a time or switching sides only once. Even at 10 months old, he may be able to understand. Keeping one breast covered may help as well. At night inforcing the rule...when mama is laying on this side, you nurse from this breast and when mama lays on this side, you nurse on this breast...may help. You may also want to try breast massage before/during nursing to help stimulate letdown / flow.

I hope you find something that works for you and ds soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.