Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lat night was awful.

My 6 mo fell asleep for is evening nap at about 4, then fell asleep at about 7, so we took him up to our bed and tucked him in. He woke up about an hour later (he usually does) and I went up to nurse him back to sleep but he didn't go back to sleep.

After that the night just got worse and worse. He was up and ready to rock and roll so we played with him and stuff but I was ready for bed at 9 (I wake up for work at 4:45am) I tried to go up by my self and leave ds down with dh but ds was having none of that, he wanted his mama, but did NOT want to go to sleep. I was exausted! And as the night rolled on I could tell he was tired but would not go to sleep. Every effort I made to get him to settle down just ended with him freaking out.

I've never felt anger towards my son, but last night I was ready to just close the door and let him CIO while I slept on the couch. The whole thing was ugly, dh and I got in a fight, ds was either crying or screaming and I was ready to cry myself.

So please...give me some advice...I don't think I can handle a repeat! I really want to continue co sleeping, but not if the negative outweighs the positive.

·
Registered
794 Posts
a couple things come to mind:

1) teething. he may have been uncomfortable laying on his head. you could try some tylonel or motrin and see if it helps.
2) growth spurt. is he wanting to nurse more?
3) new skills. and just wanting to practice them.

i agree that his last nap is pretty late for going to bed at 7. my ds seemed to change his nap times fairly often. is he showing any signs of wanting to nap earlier, go to bed later, etc?

hope you get some sleep tonight!

kris
owen, 12 months

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I wouldn't go the route of Tylenol or Motrin...that is yucky stuff unless it's an absolute emergency.
Do you have teething tablets or Camilia? I agree about the teething thing or maybe he is getting ready to do something new.
DD is 5.5 mos. and she still takes three naps a day. The last one at 3:30pm. If she misses that or goes later, I make sure she just takes a little power nap to keep her going until 7 or 7:30. Then I keep her routine the same. Maybe last night was just something weird?
Sending you good sleeping vibes for tonight.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I would do a search here for "6 month growth spurt" and see all the similar horror stories. I almost went nuts when DD hit that spurt! She nursed every 30 minutes all night long for nearly a week. But, it did pass.

At 8 months, she was up to it again. But, this time is was about practicing all the new skills. That one passed too.

I wonder what's next!

Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou, last night was a little better, we had a mini melt down at about 10pm, but I was able to calm him down. I can't be sure if it's a growth spurt because he cluster feeds at night (because I work durring the day and he hates his bottle) so I'm sed to him eating evry hour or so at night, that was hard at first but I've gotten used to it. As for the teething, I've been giving him some teeting drops I bought at the local health food store, but he's really not doing the other things like drooling or chewing on stuff.

I'm kinda wondering if maye he's just picking up on bad vibes between dh and I, we're getting seperated but he's sticking around untill I'm out of the navy (only one more week!). We don't fight a lot but that's really because we just ignore each other. Has anyone else experienced this...their child getting clingy and cranky because they can sense sometings wrong?

I don't know. Ds is in a great mood this morning though, I'm going to try to get him to on an earlier schedule.

Thanks again mama's!

·
Registered
794 Posts
i am sorry to hear you are having a tough time with your dh! i have experienced that ds reacts when dh and i are 'uneasy' with each other. whether it be fighting, scowling, ignoring, whatever.

i always have to walk away from that situation to calm down (ds goes with me). he always calms right down as soon as i do. i also find it harder to breastfeed when i am angry and stressed. ds doesn't get as much during these times, which makes him fussy/angry/stressed.

best wishes getting through this tough time

kris

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you mom2owen1, we'll figure something out. I'm moving to Colorado to stay with some friends when I'm out of the navy, I think it will be a good change for me and ds. A much more supportive environment for both of us. I'll be staying home with him so hpefully I'll be able to get him in to a better "groove". I just hope tonight we can all get ome real rest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.