Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a mother of a 21 month old boy and just had a new baby 3 weeks ago, ever since the new baby came my son has been acting out......really bad!!!!!!!!!! he wakes up 3 times a night screaming inconsolebly for about an hour!and during the day he will do the same thing. me and my husband do the best we can to give him alot of love and attention but no matter what we do he still does this. I was just wondering if you ladies had any ideas what I can do to help himm feel better. has anyone else gone through this?
:

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Hi,

This is hard -- he's been used to a lot of attention and you being up and around, and now he's not. And some kids have a harder time with transitions than others. Things will get better.

I would:
See if dh can co-sleep with him, while you co-sleep with the new baby.

Wear him around as much as you can. If your baby will sleep if you put him down, then put your 21 month old in a carrier and carry him.

See if each of you can provide him with 30 minutes of 1-on-1 time every day. So, have dh put the baby in a carrier and go for a walk, while you play with ds. Or you go for a walk with ds while dh stays home with the baby, and then vice versa.

Set up some special things for him to do while you nurse the baby -- some moms get a nursing box that has cool things in it that only come out when you need to nurse.

Make sure you get OUTSIDE with him as soon as you can. My kids are always better behaved after a walk to the park and back. If you can do it in the AM, that will also help sleep.

Remind yourself that there's only one of you and 2 of them. Sometimes, one of them is going to have to wait, and be unhappy about it. Get there as soon as you can, but don't beat yourself up about it. 21 month olds cry. Comfort him as best you can. Let the rest of the house go and for a month or two, live on crock-pot meals and in a dirty house.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Higs, Mama! It gets easier - I promise! You got great suggestions from the pp above. My dd was 19mo when her new sister arrived. The first few weeks were just very hard. Might I add to play with you older one while the little one sleeps? I know that has helped out here alot. Gotta go - my older one is helping the little one roll over! Hang in there!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Try homeopathic remedies.
Calms 4 Kids by Hylands works great for my ds at night. Its mostly the Chamilla in it that does the trick we think.

And wear your nb as much as possible, so you can give your toddler as much one on one as possible.
Give lots of cuddles and kisses so they don't fell left out too.

Dawn

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Oh, ((hugs)), mama. Yep, been through it. I had my dd 3 months ago, when my ds was only 15 months old.

Ds manifested his anxiety about the whole life change at night -- from 0-2 nightwakings to 5-6 per night, overnight. It lasted about 6-7 weeks, and then he was fine, practically overnight again.

I think the best thing I can tell you is....hang in there. I promise it will get better, and I promise it will end.

You got a lot of good suggestions from the other posters, and I think they are also great - just remember that it will get better. Honest!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.