Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a similar problem to another poster...my dh wants me to wean our dd who is now just over 2 yrs old. I have tried to talk with him about the benefits etc etc, but he says, 'why do i have to be the one to change my beliefs, again?' He says it makes him uncomfortable that she can talk & is nursing. Any suggestions? I feel very angry about this. We do not co-sleep, &, she now only nurses 3 times a day. (I have made a point of this, so as not to have it 'in his face' so to speak) I feel so angry
: our older dd self weaned at 12 months old.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I'd tell him tough luck since he's not the one nursing. But I am not very tolerant of those who choose to be ignorant

-Angela

What she said.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Initially, dh and I thought I would nurse dd until she was 6 months. After we got close to that, though, it just didn't make sense to switch to formula and it certainly wasn't in the best interest of our dd. Well, when we got to a year, we talked about it, and it just made sense to continue nursing. He didn't have any literature to support weaning at that point, and I always offered to review and read anything he could come up with that supported that weaning was in the best interest of our dd. There just isn't much that goes that direction wrt breastfeeding.

Humans really aren't meant to drink cow's milk, ya know, and some humans need milk longer than others. I have always thought it best to let our children lead us with their needs. I guess it just made sense to let her lead that aspect of her life as well.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Well, it's a little harder to use the "people milk for baby people" argument when you're talking about a 2yo. I personally used it until ds was about 2.5. I figured that if kids needed full fat milk until 2, people milk was the best choice. And if it was necessary until 2, it seemed like a good idea to keep going a little after that.

Mostly, when dp brought up weaning before I was ready for it (ds is nowhere near ready to wean), it basically came down to "Well I'm not going to." Period. My body, my choice type of thing (which he respects).

Now when weaning comes up, its more like "if YOU can think of a way to do it that isn't traumatic for ds, I'm ALL FOR IT!!!" (dp hates for ds to be unhappy, and the sound of crying bothers him). I'm so ready to stop. lol.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn S View Post
I have a similar problem to another poster...my dh wants me to wean our dd who is now just over 2 yrs old. I have tried to talk with him about the benefits etc etc, but he says, 'why do i have to be the one to change my beliefs, again?' He says it makes him uncomfortable that she can talk & is nursing. Any suggestions? I feel very angry about this. We do not co-sleep, &, she now only nurses 3 times a day. (I have made a point of this, so as not to have it 'in his face' so to speak) I feel so angry
: our older dd self weaned at 12 months old.
This came up with our first. I told him I would gladly discuss it after he read this, that, and the other. We'll that wasn't going to happen so he dropped it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Ask him to give you info on why to ween. Give him info in why not to ween and clw.

I don't think weening is the issue. He sounds pissed that you're making him do NFL stuff. I don't know your dynamic, but I always make sure dh knows what I'm researching and what I think about it. He can choose to do what I'm doing or he can choose something else.

It's hard, but make sure he knows WHY.

good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.