Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MIL was told by the Dr. to cut out meat chicken and fish. She can't eat much rice or pasta due to diabetes and raw veggies and fruit are not great for her stomach - she has diverticulosis. Talk about being a mess. She is also very overweight. I am looking for some yummy recipes to pass on to her. (oh and she doesn't eat anything made with garlic). She's really depressed about all this. She has been cooking the same food for years and years (she's Turkish). She doesn't know how to cook anything else.<br><br>
TIA,<br>
Dahlia

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Whats the reason her Dr wants her to cut out chicken and fish? Sorry about being nosey.<br><br>
You said she cant eat raw veggies but are cooked ok? What about some type of veggie soups. A person can make all sorts of soups that would be yummy out of veggies.<br><br><a href="http://www.foodtv.com" target="_blank">www.foodtv.com</a> is a good place to look for recipes.<br><br>
Sorry I cant be any more help to you

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Everyone I've ever known with diverticulosis has been told to INCREASE their fiber intake, including raw fruits and veggies. Oh, well, just odd.<br><br>
Anyway, it might be time to investigate soy-based alternatives, nut-based cheeses, whole grains like barley and quinoa. Can she still eat eggs? They can be fixed so many ways. Soups and stews are good with winter coming up. Without knowing why meats were axed (digestion, or cholesterol or ?), it's kinda hard to know what else to suggest.<br><br>
I'd recommend trying things out before you pass along a recipe, so you'll be able to give her good ideas and she'll build trust in your suggestions.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She has had kidney trouble and the doctor is trying to see what from. So for now she has cut out animal protein.<br><br>
You know with the diverticulosis every time I ask her about it she says that raw vegetables give her the runs, so maybe she has other digestive problems. She can't explain it to me.<br><br>
Any links that could give me suggestions for nut based cheese and alternatives to animal protein, and Soy based products??? I know Tofu is great.<br><br>
I intend to be the guinnea pig. I am looking forward to it.<br><br>
Thanks for your suggestions.<br><br>
Dahlia

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Do you have a good health food store nearby? Or a Trader Joe's (TJ's)? You can find the cheese alternatives in either place, and some good soy products, too. I don't buy much pre-made stuff, but if she's used to mainstream meals, you can check out either the TJ brands or Morningstar Farms fake meats. The MF "sausage" breakfast patties and "chicken nuggets" taste meaty, as do Boca Burgers and Garden Burgers. (I don't really like supporting the big corporate companies like these, but their products do offer convenience and choice for people who need to make changes.) The company that makes Smart Dogs also makes some other good fake meats -- for sandwiches, etc. And a decent fake ground beef. I've made a mean calzone using their fake italian sausage.<br><br>
If you think she's up for more "alternative" foods, there are great recipes all over online, like:<br><a href="http://www.vegsource.com/recipe/meatsub.htm" target="_blank">http://www.vegsource.com/recipe/meatsub.htm</a><br><br>
Take a look and let us know if you find stuff you think she'd like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts