Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually prepare for developmental changes, but the potty thing struck without warning. All advice needed.<br><br>
So, my ds, 28M, decide 2 days ago that he wanted to wear underwear. o.k - no problem. He's used the potty a few times on his own. He likes to sit on it and try. And, a few times he's initiated it and actually used it. So, I'm thinking, this makes sense, he's interested, he's used it, etc.<br><br>
So, I let him wear the underwear. I explain the underwear won't hold the pee and poo in the same way as a diaper and that he'll need to use the potty. Might be too much info for 2 year old, but you never know, he's understood more complex things.<br><br>
Anyhow, in the past 24 hours, it's been no stop accidents. I'm o.k with that part.<br><br>
I'm just not sure what to do next. Should I stop using diapers (except night). Should I let him choose? Should I have him wear them when we go out. We live in a major city, and I have no idea how to negotiate this city with a toddler in underwear.<br><br>
I've really let him initiate most changes. He self-weaned, decided when he'd sleep through the night, etc. So, my inclination is to let him take the lead.<br><br>
You get the idea. I need advice!<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
If he wants to wear underwear, then you are going to have to start taking to the potty at regular intervals so that he gets a chance to be successful at going on the potty. Plus you prevent accidents and let him feel what it is like to go in the potty and to be dry. I'd start at 20 minutes or so. Make sure when you are home, he's had stuff to drink. Once he's successful, you can lengthen the period between when you take him. In between taking him, have him check his underwear and make a fuss over dry underwear. We underwear doesn't get scolded, it just gets to get changed after he tries to go on the potty (try to catch him just having gone a little bit.)<br><br>
When I was doing this with my student (who has autism, BTW), most of his accidents after the first few days were small ones, after which he could fully go in the toilet. He just didn't have practice controlling the muscle when he felt the need to pee.<br><br>
Unless your son is one of the kids who just "does it" from the start, you're just going to have to let hiim have many chances to practice being successful, practice using his muscles to relax once he's sitting down, and eventually, to tell you when he has to pee. This practice will enable him to get better and stronger and controlling his bladder until he can reach the toilet. I would not go out and about in the city until you have established at least a modicum of success.<br><br>
The best time to start doing this is when you'll have several days in a row where you can basically stay at home (hopefully you have a park nearby) to let him practice where he'll be most comfortable (and nearest the toilet.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts