Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend needs to quit smoking. He wants to, but smokes a lot (two packs a day), and has been smoking for about 16 years. He has tried many times, and wants to quit, but it is very difficult. People have suggested Chantix (sp?), but I really worry about the mental/mood related side effects as he has bipolar and I just...don't feel comfortable about mixing that drug and the potential side effects with what he's already dealing with. He agreed, when we spoke about this. I read another thread about a possible homeopathic option, and acupuncture. Could these help? What other options are out there? I worry about this a lot as I helped take care of my grandmother when she died of lung cancer so I know very well what is likely to happen if he doesn't quit...or what could still happen even if he is able to quit. He said he has some pain when be breathes sometimes, can't take deep breaths in, etc...help?
We're not that old...he's only 28.

· Registered
226 Posts
My suggestion (I quit 1 year ago after smoking for 30 years) is to have him quit using the patch. Many people complain about the price but it is cheaper than smoking. I think the homeopathics will help and are fairly inexpensive. The acupuncture certainly can't hurt but may be pricier.

If you friend is in fact smoking 2 packs a day it is no wonder he can't breathe. I have no judgement against him as I smoked for decades. All he really needs to do is decide to quit no matter what. That is a decision to quit is really a decision to go through withdrawal symptoms no matter how bad they get. That is really the key.

· Premium Member
10,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenlunatic View Post
I think the homeopathics will help and are fairly inexpensive. The acupuncture certainly can't hurt but may be pricier.

If you friend is in fact smoking 2 packs a day it is no wonder he can't breathe. I have no judgement against him as I smoked for decades. All he really needs to do is decide to quit no matter what. That is a decision to quit is really a decision to go through withdrawal symptoms no matter how bad they get. That is really the key.

Also, niacin is said to help with cravings, fwiw. I quit a year and a half ago, cold turkey after having dental surgery. I had smoked off and on for 20 years (I originally started at the lovely age of 8), with the last "on" having started 13 years prior.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm going to concur on the patch.
I quit smoking cold turkey, but I'm an odd bird and I think I'm unable to be addicted to ANYTHING. I just turn things on and off like a switch.
But my DH was a whole other thing. He'd had a long history of smoking, though, and smoked a lot more than me. The patch helped a lot. We bought it at Costco, as it was cheaper than other stores. But as was said, it's still cheaper than smoking two packs a day!

Oh, and my suggestion to you is to be patient. Let some things slide. Just kind of give him some space to be a jerk for a bit while he deals with this. It's not easy.

· Registered
518 Posts
I don't think we're ever really ready to quit. We say we are, and then the cravings hit. I'm still on a quit/unquit cycle, which will hopefully end tomorrow (it's always tomorrow, isn't it?), but what's helped me in the past is quitnet.com and whyquit.com. Both are VERY informative--you, yourself can go on quitnet and ask questions to ex-smokers regarding what worked, what didn't. Whyquit is more information than anything, but it's the testimonies that get you. You can read blogs and watch videos of people who've died young. It's enough to scare you into quitting, as it's done for me many times. Some people, though, don't want the cold, hard truth staring them in the face (whyquit), nor do they need an internet support group (quitnet), but i've found them extremely beneficial. In fact, i think i'll go there right now....

· Registered
461 Posts
I am an acupuncturist and I have helped many people quit smoking. The key is that the person should be ready. Here is the acupuncture protocol I use to help people quit smoking.
1) Come in 12 - 24 hours smoke free so that you come in craving a cigarette.
2) Have a treatment and watch your cravings disappear. Most people will rate their craving at a 10/10 and when they leave, they rate it as a 0 - 3/10. It's very empowering for the person to feel this.
3) When using acupuncture, it's best not to use the nicotine gum or patch because the acupuncture works best to reduce the cravings when there is no nicotine in the system.
4) Initially, the person may need treatment 3-4x/week the first week. 2-3x/week the second week. 1-2x/week the third week and 1-2x/week the fourth week. Usually it takes about 4 weeks for the cravings to completely go away.
5) If a person smokes while going through the treatments to quit, it may take a little bit longer than 4 weeks, but there is no reason to give up and not continue trying.
6) It may be best to seek out a community acupuncture clinic or a place that offers group treatment if it is not covered by his insurance, because private treatments can be expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.