Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a visit with our goddaughter about once a week, and usually take her overnight as well. She's 20-months-old and lived with us until she was 17 months old. She never slept through the night with us, but since she's been back with her parents, she now sleeps through the night. I don't know how they managed it, but I assume some amount of CIO or whatever.<br><br>
Anyway, whenever we have her overnight, she wakes up and won't fall asleep without a bottle and cuddles. That's fine, except the past few times she doesn't go back to sleep even then. She'll lay in her crib, asleep-seeming, for a LONG time, like over 30 minutes, and the second I creep out of the room, she's up again. A couple times, she's decided to just be UP and play.<br><br>
I know she wakes up confused because she's not home. That's part of it. The other part of it is that she knows that we will cuddle her and give her milk. She doesn't need the night feeding and often it causes her gas because she's asleep after her bottle, so she doesn't burp.<br><br>
Since we only see her once a week, it's hard to figure out how to teach her that she can fall back asleep and we'll be there and play with her in the morning.<br>
Our current plan is to make it as boring as possible. No bottle, no getting out of the crib, just "night night" and back rubs. Then we leave the room. And we'll go back in there over and over and just do the same thing. Maybe give her a bottle/sippy of water.<br><br>
Do you all have any other ideas? We're willing to lose a little more sleep if there's an end in sight. We just can't keep going on like this. Especially after we get our adoptive placement. We'll be tired enough from that baby!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
your plan sounds good, you just have to keep trying. At least you will be able to sleep the other 6 nights of the week!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the first night went *really* well.<br>
She woke up a couple times before we went to sleep and went back to sleep when my partner went in and said "night night".<br>
Then she woke up in the middle of the night and my partner waited 5 minutes and went in, gave her a hug, laid her back down, said "night night" and left. She had to do that 5 times, but then she stayed asleep for a few hours. then I did the same routine once, and then again an hour later, and then she slept for the rest of the night.<br><br>
Each time I went in, she relaxed into my hug and was glad to lay back down. I think she just needed to know we're still there. Hopefully it will go this well next week and, eventually, she'll get used to it and put herself back to sleep.<br><br>
The day she sleeps through the night, we're having a big ol' party!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts