Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 41 yo mom to ds with PDD NOS, primarily speech delay but also social issues. I have just recently been told that I have high iron 500+ and likely hemochromatosis after a routine blood test. I am in the process of making hemotology and genetics appointments. First, anyone out there have this too? I understand that it is genetic, reasonably treatable but as a mom of a beautiful ds with PDD perhaps more importantly I wonder if there is a link between the two and I am now appearently holding on to heavy metals in my blood and tissue. Is he? Probably.
Goodness, I want to say what next but that sounds cynical. I am optimistic that I'll find and answer for him.
Any links, advice, leads would help.
Peace,
EHH

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Interesting thought. I am asking my MIL because I know the family has issues with metal retention, some kind of blood disorder and several of the adults (although undiagnosed) have some type of autism/aspbersgers (sp).

Thanks for reminding me to get my boys checked out.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
My dad has that condition, and I will eventually get tested when I stop having monthly cycles. I have done some reading up on it and as far I can tell it's not related to autism. It's hereditary so if he has it, it's worth getting other family members checked. It can be quite serious if not treated. I hope you get some answers soon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I don't want to get too far off the special needs thread but the iron just caught the eye of my DR. on my routine physical. I was asking about my cholesterol which was fine but the iron strck her as a red flag. I'd had blood drawn back in July with another doctor in that practice. So, she re-ran the blood test for iron with a more enhanced iron test, I think a three part test to identify which type of iron was high.
Prior to talking about my blood we had been talking about my kids and my year with ds and his PDD NOS condition. I had also asked her about GFCF etc.
And as a P.S. to this iron discussion she encouraged me to discuss my hemochromatosis diagnosis with my pediatrician and have my children tested.
I guess one of the treatments is phlebotomy, another is chelation. So that's where I am. Perhaps you could touch back if you happen across an other information. I'll be searching myself.
Thanks much!
Erin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts