Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm slowly deboarding the Hemp Bandwagon. Yes, I'm usually
about the glories of hemp, but I'm just getting so tired of the smell, which is just getting worse! I thought I had terrible buildup because the hemp was starting to smell even in the day, but when I did a "test wash" (no detergent added and check during the agitation) there were very, very few suds (I've seen much worse before). I did use a lot of Calgon in the previous wash (like three capfuls!) to try to eliminate buildup, so maybe that's it?

Anyway, is there any other magic fabric out there similar to hemp? Hmm. But then, I guess any fabric with that much absorbency would have the same issues?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Well, I don't think there are other natural fibers that are as absorbent as hemp, but I am finding that those "rags" that are sold as an alternative to chamois cloth are REALLY absorbent, hold up decently in the wash, don't stink and are CHEAP!!! I got mine at the 99 cent store... I get four or five /8 -10(depending on how I cut them) out of ONE 99 cent cloth, so... they are cheap enough that I can toss 'em after a month or so if they fall apart, kwim??

If you find a great natural alternative, I'm all ears!!!

ETA: I forgot to mention, wasn't it Holly (Kermit) who recently used a bit of bleach on her hemp and it got rid of the stinkies??? That might be an alternative as well

Thanks!!

Lo

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I don't know if you've tried this, but most of my stuff is hemp, and when ever it starts to get stinky I do the next couple of washes without anything added, just hot water. It seems to keep the stinkies at bay...

Hope you find a solution soon.
Debi

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Organic cotton sherpa......it's mighty absorbent without the denseness of the hemp. I think that's why the hemp holds on to smells more than plain cotton. I just had to bleach all of my hemp products again...so sad. But, they smell clean finally. That rat cage smell is GROSS!!!

I don't condone using bleach on load after load, but I'm finding that once a month, on hemp only, and about 1/4 c does the job.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
I don't condone using bleach on load after load, but I'm finding that once a month, on hemp only, and about 1/4 c does the job.
I have many fleece (poly)-topped hemp doublers . . .would the bleach ruin the fleece?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
cause all I know is everything stinks once it has waste inside of it. I thought it was the fabrics at one time that held onto smells but I think if anything is used over and over again and something smelly keeps going on it over and over it is going to stink. My oldest son is a real stinker and my youngest is catching up to him fast.....LOL!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mizelenius
I have many fleece (poly)-topped hemp doublers . . .would the bleach ruin the fleece?
No, it doesn't ruin the fleece. that stuff is colorfast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.