Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am fairly new here and am finally able to get a thread started
Whoo-hoo! I'm pretty detail oriented when I write, so bear with me if you can help me, please!!!

I am a mother of 3 (dss 8, dd 5 (natural birth) dd 3 (water birthed at home) ) I am still night/nap and morning nursing my recently turned 3 year old and we have decided to try for another baby
While I am excited, I am hesistant that my body is not ready yet, hence the reason for my questions.

Last year I had a bout with what I self-diagnosed (after hours of research on internet between dh and I) to be adrenal fatigue. I literally could not get out of bed for 4 days. I'm a SAHM, so you can imagine how hard that was! I was so, so weak. My periods were off pretty bad after that. I was even having 2 in one month and still lactating! Figure that one out! I left some herbal consultants at a local health food store stunned with that.

The past 2 mos my periods have been somewhat predictable and somewhat "normal" (that I've noticed, maybe even a little longer). Now, I've had a 20 lb weight gain
in the past year and not sure why. I'm active with children and don't eat excessively unhealthy or eat a whole lot anyway. I am not a snacker and rarely eat "junk". I found myself emotionally eating before the adrenal fatigue, but put a quick end to it. So, after two babies that stretched me to the max, I have a lot of loose skin above my pubic bone and now, even more lower abdominal belly fat, which is worst and most dangerous kind to your health. I feel kind of hopeless to begin an excercise program because my plate if full with homeschool, housework and watching my infant and toddler nephews 5 days a week. I do good to get 5-6 hours of sleep each night.
Just trying to be honest here.

Since we feel the time is right for our family to conceive, I will be unloading some of what is on this "plate" at the end of the year (watching my nephews). I am also trying to get more sleep, but did I mention I have a part-time transcription job too?!
:

So, my main goal: take Vitex to give my horomones some support in the balance department and take Holy Basil to help level out the cortisol, metabolism, insulin thing.

My questions: Is it safe to take both of these while bfing? Are these safe if I take them together?

With Vitex, I 've heard that the capsulated pill form is better than the alcohol/water solution liquid I bought today (dosage 30 drops). Since I'm nursing, would it be better to take only 15-20 drops a day?

Any ideas, info or support would be welcomed!!

Thank you so very much.....I simply LOVE
the fact that I can come on here and find other like minded mamas to help....it is a stress reliever in and of itself!!!

I am looking forward to reading your replies!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Vitex in any form is fine with lactation with a older child. Strangely, it should be avoided postpartum because it's negative effect on supply but has the opposite effect later...meaning it can help you produce more milk. Generally speaking tinctures are more potent...which is what you want!

I would not jump to the conclusion that you are in adrenal failure...but that you have sooo much on your plate and do not get enough sleep. Don't underestimate how tiring mothering can be...

Mary

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by doula mary View Post
Vitex in any form is fine with lactation with a older child. Strangely, it should be avoided postpartum because it's negative effect on supply but has the opposite effect later...meaning it can help you produce more milk. Generally speaking tinctures are more potent...which is what you want!

I would not jump to the conclusion that you are in adrenal failure...but that you have sooo much on your plate and do not get enough sleep. Don't underestimate how tiring mothering can be...

Mary

Thank you so much Mary!! AT the time I suspected adrenal failure I did a raw, organic vegetables and fruits juice fast for 7 days and felt a lot better.

I do understand even more so as time goes on how exhausted mothering can be. Your words are so welcomed!

Thank you for your help and advice with Vitex. So do you recommend I take the full dose (30 drops). What do you know about Holy Basil, if any?

Thanks again for your quick reply!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
hello allinhistime!!

i just saw this thread and i just so happened to have done some reading on holy basil. from what i understand it is NOT a good idea while ttc as it can have a negative affect on fertility. apparently it can reduce estrogen levels which may delay or prevent ovulation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesface View Post
hello allinhistime!!

i just saw this thread and i just so happened to have done some reading on holy basil. from what i understand it is NOT a good idea while ttc as it can have a negative affect on fertility. apparently it can reduce estrogen levels which may delay or prevent ovulation.

Thank you......now i'm in a pickle!!! What if together the Vitex will help progesterone and the Holy Basil will take care of the estrogen?!!!!!
: (J/K)

I guess I have to decide what is more important. Smoothing out the cortisol/metabolism or balancing horomones and TTC. I think it somehow works all together but I'm too much of a novice yet in the herbal department to know any better!!

Thank you so much mosesface for your info on your research
The thing is, I may be one week pregnant by now but I know I won't be able to find out until that hcg is racing.......I'll check in a few weeks if AF doesn't come for a visit.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
oooh! how exciting! come on BFP!!

one thing i forgot to suggest re: the cortisol/insulin/metabolism issue... have you ever looked into coconut oil? there is SOOO much about it on the internet and in the book stores these days but i would have never given it a chance if a dear friend hadn't introduced me.

i have been using coconut oil for two weeks now and already experienced a huge difference in my blood sugar and metabolism (i've also lost 3 pounds).

it is entirely safe during pregnancy and may be a solution worth looking into!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

oooh! how exciting! come on BFP!!

one thing i forgot to suggest re: the cortisol/insulin/metabolism issue... have you ever looked into coconut oil? there is SOOO much about it on the internet and in the book stores these days but i would have never given it a chance if a dear friend hadn't introduced me.

i have been using coconut oil for two weeks now and already experienced a huge difference in my blood sugar and metabolism (i've also lost 3 pounds).

it is entirely safe during pregnancy and may be a solution worth looking into!
Yes, I eat it on my Ezekiel bread every morning
How much do you use? I use as much as I can on one slice, but it probably isn't enough. I buy the Nutiva organic, cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. Could you share some recipies???

I'd love to try anything with food to prevent any chance of harmful exchange to my toddler.

BTW...nice to meet you...this is great!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
it's so nice to meet you, too!!

i am actually taking three tablespoons per day. it's much easier to do when it's liquid, so i leave a small jar on top of the stove above the pilot light to keep it that way. it's just one gulp before each meal.

my other favorite way is to mix it solid into a couple tablespoons of peanutbutter and eat that either with a spoon and a big glass of raw milk (this makes a great breakfast or lunch!) or scoop it with celery! or any way you want to eat peanut butter!

i also use it in place of olive oil when cooking. at first i thought the flavor would get in the way, but i honestly cannot taste it. the only side effect is the magnificent aroma in the kitchen! i haven't used it yet in any baking as i am avoiding all grains at the moment...i have a sneaking suspicion i may have a gluten intolerance, but i think it would be wonderful in place of any oils.

the only thing i've discovered, and i read in the beginning that this was possible, is that i'm starting to get flu-like symptoms. apparently they will go away soon and i'm taking it as a very good sign! it means it's working, clearing me out and strengthening my immune system.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
glad to see you can post now allinhistime! i just wanted to offer a
: and a
for you and if you want me to add you to the nursing mamas ttc thread, let me know!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post
glad to see you can post now allinhistime! i just wanted to offer a
: and a
for you and if you want me to add you to the nursing mamas ttc thread, let me know!
Oh yes, please do and thanks for the hug...it's needed!!

Well, I decided to dive in a try Vitex today.......yuck!! I plugged my nose and downed the drops in a small amount of water. How long before you see effects?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've used Vitex in capsule forms -- 1200mg to help lengthen my luteal phase. It worked that cycle for me, but it doesn't work for everyone. Maybe you want to try the capsules instead?

By the way, hi and welcome!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I'm taking 1200 mg of the capsules as well. I think I'm going to ovulate in the next day or 2 so we'll see if it helps with my luteal phase or not. I just knew I wouldn't be able to do the drops. I know the drops prob work faster because they are more absorbable by the body but I figured that wouldn't do me much good if I never took them

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
yeah, those drops are rough! but i figured out that it's really just the smell, not the taste. so i hold my breath and chug it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

yeah, those drops are rough! but i figured out that it's really just the smell, not the taste. so i hold my breath and chug it!

Me too!!! Also, does it do anything to your urine? Did you notice coconut oil made your urine a little stronger (maybe due to detox?) ? How long did you take/eat coconut oil before you noticed the flu-like symptoms?

Thank you so much for helping me w/this!
:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i haven't really noticed any change in my urine, but it would definitely make good sense as far as detox goes.

i started feeling "almost sick" after one week of 3T/day. it really just felt like i was coming down with a cold, but never all the way...does that make sense? sore throat, little bit of stuffy nose, achiness, that sort of thing. it lasted for about 4 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.