Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been craving herbal teas (not the supermarket kind) and it is a bit early for straight red raspberry tea, so I went to a herbalist and got these two teas (I checked them out with my naturopath):

Tea #1
Fennel seeds
Rosehips
Hibiscus flowers
Red raspberry leaves
Spearmint Leaves
Chamomile flowers

Tea #2
Lemon verbena
Alfalfa
Nettle
Rosehips
Red Raspberry
Spearmint
Lemongrass

I'll let you know if they are tasty. I like making blends. I have another blend that I really like, but reserve it for 2nd trimester onwards. My kids really like it as both a warm tea and an iced tea:

Red raspberry
Red clover
Spearmint
Peppermint
Dandelion root
Alfalfa
Nettles
Oatstraw
Lemonblam

Many of the ingredients have awesome nutrient value, and trace minerals and vitamins.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That sounds like it would be really nutritious. When I was pregnant the second time. FIrst homebirth my midwife gave me a Whole body pregnancy infusion recipe. Her midwife gave it to her for her first homebirth.

6 parts rrl
6 parts squaw vine
4 parts nettles
3 parts violet leaves
2 parts wood betony
2 parts dandelion root
2 parts gravel root
1 part slippery elm bark

Let a handful of herb steep in a quart jar of hot water for 4-8 hours. Drink 1/2 cup 3 times a day.

It says "This formula is an excellent nutritive and building food for a healthy pregnancy. It strengthens and tonifies the reproductive organs, kidneys, liver and nerves, the body systems which are most stressed during pregnancy."

I have never made it though.

Michele

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds interesting I'm not familiar with some of those herbs. I will ask my naturopath about it. SOme of the herbs sound like they go beyond "food" herbs into medicinal, but I am not certain.

Carolynn

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by juliaaaah
carolyn, what do you mean about it being too early for straight RRL tea?
:

I thought RRL tea was great for the uterus, so I've been drinking a cup a day now during my first trimester....should I stop?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Straight RRl is incredible for basically anyone, at any time. It is not only safe during tri 1 but nourishing as well. And pretty darn good tonic against morning sickness, too!

Rosemary Gladstar has a lovely woman's herbal book that has a simple little section on the medicinal herbs great for pregnancy, and when the are applicable. I am sure there are others, but RG has always been on my shelf.

·
Registered
726 Posts
during my last pregnancy, though, my midwife had me ease off on the rrl when i was still complaining of crampiness at week 8 or 12 or something. it can exacerbate that a little, but that's really just a comfort thing; it's not dangerous in any way.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on how much you are drinking. When it crosses over into medicinal doses my naturopath thinks it is too much. One cup a day sounds more nutritional. I did a lit search and found different opinions. Seeing as there wasn't a straight answer, I figured that I just wouldn't drink it a whole lot myself (as I am worried about crampiness) until the 2nd trimester. I think any one would have to decide for themselves.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've been afraid to drink my RRL tea because I m/c last time shortly after I started drinking it so it's a "what if" in my mind that I don't want to deal with. My m/w said it was safe although I should listen to my gut first and foremost. So my gut says to wait until after week 12.

I've been drinking a lot of diluted green tea with lemongrass (iced). I have a couple of great blends for women (too tired to list ingredients right now).

·
Registered
709 Posts
My midwife makes a great pregnancy tea. I drink a quart a day...that is equal to one prenatal. It is great hot or iced. It make a great suntea too.

Here is that recipe....
2 oz raspberry leaf, 1/2 oz skull cap, 1 oz Nettles Leaf, 1/2 oz Lemon Balm, 1 oz Oatstraw, 1/4 oz peppermint.

Mix all together and pour 1 cup boiling water over 1 teaspoon of herbs for 1 cup of tea. Steep 10 min, strain and enjoy. 8 tablespoons per 1/2 gallon.

You can add honey, lemon or stevia. 1 qt daily = 1 prenatal daily.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTana Mama
Does this tea help MS for you? I feel too lazy to get all the herbs to make my own teas, right now. Any other suggestions for yummy premade teas?
It really does, if I drink it pretty much constantly. It's good iced or hot. I've also made ice cubes to suck on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.