Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was checking in on the leaky thread, and it sounded like there all definitely a few mamas in our ddc that have had supply issues. i know technically this might be better placed in "breastfeeding challenges," but i would love a local reference here for us moms to put out there what we are trying and what we have found to work, herb and food wise. i have found a whole bunch of info in the "making more milk" book.

right now i have started taking goat's rue...i am 35 weeks today, so in the third trimester clear for sure. i also have nettles and alfalfa in my daily herbal concoction. i am planning on a lot of oats and soups that spin off from foods/ herbs traditionally revered as milk making.

what is anyone else doing? i have noticed more "leakiness" or, rather, more easily expressible milk since i've started taking the goat's rue.

i know delaying showering for baby and mama after birth is supposed to help, and "the 24 hour cure" is supposed to increase milk supply. i plan on bedding in naked with baby for as many of those first days as possible, trying to use the 24 hour cure as a preventative.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'll join this club!

I'm only about halfway through reading the making more milk book, but it is definitely full of great info so far. I've recently started using alfalfa tablets and I will go buy some goat's rue in the next few days. I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast and drink plenty of water. I'm hoping to avoid needing domperidone this time around, but I won't hesitate to take it if my milk supply is in jeopardy again. I'm going back to work a lot sooner with this babe than I did with DS and I'm very nervous about how pumping at work is going to affect things.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you're in Canada & are having serious supply issues, I highly reccommend Dr. Jack Newman's website ... and get in contact with him directly. He emailed my friend a perscription for the Dom. at 4am when she hit the wall nursing wise & emailed him through his site in the middle of the night.

I'm not sure that he could send perscriptions to the US, but the site is still full of loads of helpful info no matter where you are!

Don't forget the basics -- hydrate & eat well. Keep water handy wherever you sit down to nurse, and snacks close at hand as well. Coach the people in your house to be prepared to bring you drinks or food if you're sitting nursing. Sometimes I have found that mamas with a history of bad supply forget to start with the basics!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think I'll start taking the goat's rue today. Does anyone have a reputable site on how much to take? Or duh, perhaps I could reference the making more milk book.

I have fenugreek, mother's milk tea, goats rue, alfalfa all on hand. I'm really anxious about feeding another babe. With my first, I was a wreck. I ended up supplementing ONE bottle for a few weeks. With my second, it was a struggle, but he was exclusively breastfed only from the breast. I nursed them both over 3 years. With this one, I'd really just like to not have so much anxiety and not struggle as much. Leaving the house is a nightmare and breastfeeding non stop is why. I honestly feel like I never fully fill my children up - they cry often and gain slowly. I will probably try to pump this time around too.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh! And I need to write in my birth plan no bath. I'm wondering how long I should delay it. We are having a hospital birth and if all goes well I'll be discharged by 24 hours. Would you just skip bath at hospital all together?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

Oh! And I need to write in my birth plan no bath. I'm wondering how long I should delay it. We are having a hospital birth and if all goes well I'll be discharged by 24 hours. Would you just skip bath at hospital all together?
I'm probably going to wait for at least a couple days to give the baby a bath. And then it'll probably be just water for a while.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylaskye View Post

I'm probably going to wait for at least a couple days to give the baby a bath. And then it'll probably be just water for a while.
The more I read, the more I agree that's the way to go.

Last time we were in the hospital they gave my son a bath fairly soon after birth. He spent the night being monitored in the nursery since he was breathing so rapidly. It didn't start until after his bath.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Basically the ONLY reason the hospital wants to give your baby a bath is so the nurses can handle her/him without gloves. Before that, the baby is considered a risk for spreading things like hepatitis. Honestly, it's for their convenience---NOT for the health or benefit of you or your baby. And my first had to spend several hours in a warmer after his hospital bath, so I regret consenting to it. It was also quite traumatic for him, and I think that DH or I would have been much gentler. I think unless there is a huge amount of meconium that needs to be washed off, it's much better to wait until you're at home to give baby a bath.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just had the bath for baby talk with MW today, and it was so refreshing to have her recommend no baths! With dd, it was the one issue I "lost" on in the hospital, and dd did get bathed when she was about 3 hours old.

As far as milk supply, I take MegaMam (along with lots of other things you mama's have mentioned), and it's the thing that has worked best for me:

http://www.trilighthealth.com/MegaMam-Lactation-Support-Nursing-Safe-Herbal-Formula-by-Shonda-Parker-CCE-Used-Safely-and-Effectively-for-over-20-years-Midwife-Approved-p195.html

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am stoked. when we dropped in to the grocery store today, they were having a tincture sampling....where they actually gave away small bottles of different things. the lady saddled me up with like 5 different lactation tinctures!! not to mention a few different kids tinctures for a cough my kiddos have been fighting, etc. big time score!! i love getting rad things for free that i would have otherwise had to buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.