Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it work well to grow herbs indoors, in pots? I know they sell herb kits and stuff, but do they really grow all winter enough to supply our fresh hummus loving family with enough parsley? Or basil perhaps? Thyme? Anything??

Thankee
:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have had a difficult time with growing rosemary, lavendar and basil indoors throughout the winter as it seems our house is just so dry and also, alas, I am so busy I don't keep them moist like I should. They definitely don't like to dry out.
As far as parsley goes, though, this is a different story. Our parsely grows in the garden all year round! Right through the bitterest snow storms, green shoots growing through the snow!

·
Registered
289 Posts
We have basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, chives, watercress, majoram, oregano indoors during the winter - they need to be moist before the first shoots are seen, after that, it is enough, if they are not dry. And they do need enough light. Watercress is by far the easiest and does not need anything (not even soil!). We just put the seeds on a clay tray, water it and have it first in the dark a couple days, when the shoots come out, we put them in the light. It tasts wonderful with fresh baked buttered bread.

I don't have rosmary inside, we have a large bush outside, that is very hardy and does not mind frost at all. For the winter, I use tried rosmary, that I had harvested before; similar for the lavendar. Another great way of having "fresh" herbs during the winter is chopping the up after the summer harfest and freezing them: I freeze them on a tray and put them in small cups, so the don't stick. If I need some, I just open the cup and get some frozen herbs out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My SIL just gave me a packet of German Thyme seeds for Christmas and I want to try growing them indoors. How small of a container can I grow them in? I have limited counter space and a narrow window sill. (And I am a plant killer but hope springs eternal...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts