Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: I have wanted to ask this question since I joined but have been afraid too.
:

My ds self weened at 16 mos. and immediately started putting his hand down my shirt. It was like he still wanted some attchment to his "old watering hole". At first I didn't think anything of it. Then he started doing it to Daddy which we laughed about (not as much though as the time he latched on dh and got a mouth full of hair)
: If you could have seen his face! Anyway, he will be 3yo on Saturday and he is still doing it. As a matter of fact he can not fall asleep without it. It is so natural to him that as soon as either of us hold him he has his hand down our shirts before his second check hits our lap. Is this common? I can't get him to stop. If I pull his hand out he will wrestle with me until I give in. I've tried to get him interested in a blanket or stuffed animal for comfort but NO he likes to relive his drinking days! HELP...

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
DC P(parent)LW at 18 months and still does the nipple twiddle now (will be 3 in September). It bugs me but I'm letting her. She also does it to other people ~ lots of people, LOL! She also will not take any other comfort object.

I did get her temporarily off my breast because I left her with her father for 3 nights and I didn't want that attachment to cause sleeping problems for her. It was easy to get her off but I have a problem sticking to it. We had a little ceremony and we went to get a cuddle doll. She seemed totally aware of what the plan was and didn't even ask until several weeks after I got back. I'm sure I could have stuck with it but it just wasn't that important to me at the time.

I think I may stop this summer if it gets too hot though.

I actually found the funniest toy recently. It's a breast ball with at nipple and all! I got it for DC and she LOVES, LOVES it! Unfortunately, it's breaking already ~ obviously not made for children. I find it hysterical that I found the world's most appropriate toy for my child in a head shop! On lookers were horrified.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nursing at Keyboard...I would have NEVER figured that one out. TY

So, I am starting to see this isn't that uncommon. I get weird looks and comments now again. Although, somehow ds senses not to do it in public. But if we have companying I think he figures tough luck if you don't like it LOL...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yeah, nak, for me, means, I'm trying not to drop the baby while I type, please don't think I'm rude for being so brief and blunt in my response.

and yeah, I don't like the word normal either, but it was the quickest thing to say, yk?

FWIW, my friend whose son weaned (w/ some encouragement from her) at 2.5 still likes to pat her breasts for comfort at 5.5.

Well, maybe thats not what you want to hear
:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My older DS used to put his fist in my armpit, of what ever side he was nursing on. It began when he was maybe 8-9 months old.
He weaned at about 2 and a half. However, whenever he was feeling stressed, or he was snuggling with me, he would always pit a little fist up in my armpit, and would always figure some way around what I was wearing to do so.
This continued till he was maybe 5 years old.

I agree, it is not uncommon!

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
I have a hard time keeping up with the language mores in the world -- but I like to. Could you both tell me what the problem with 'normal' is? This is an honest question. I usually have to be told about these things and I really like to be up on knowing. Thanks, Hannah

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
not uncommon at all. I am a child photographer and I can usually tell the BF'd ones BC they reasch down mommies shirt!

T

Quote:
I actually found the funniest toy recently. It's a breast ball with at nipple and all! I got it for DC and she LOVES, LOVES it! Unfortunately, it's breaking already ~ obviously not made for children. I find it hysterical that I found the world's most appropriate toy for my child in a head shop! On lookers were horrified.
OMG - I wanted to invent the boob pacifier when DD was a baby BC she would never take one and I was the human pacifier. DH said you can probably find one at an adult store. I never had the nerve to look. Can you imagine people seeing a baby sucking on a fake boob! LMAO!
:
:

Those are the reactions i would get...

·
Registered
138 Posts
My son (26 months) weaned about halfway through this pregnancy, but still likes to put his hand down my shirt. Over the last couple of months, I've been gently moving his hand closer to my neck instead and he is getting the drift that I'd prefer that over his hand cupping my breast.

For us, I think this is normal because he really wasn't ready to wean, but my pregnancy and dried up milk supply forced the issue on him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts