Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've recently decided to do year round schooling with my kids. We just finished our three weeks off and are gearing up to start our nine weeks "on" today. The kids are actually excited about it! :LOL Very motivated to finish their school work from their current grade so they can get new books. I'm hoping this will continue. We're doing only four days and only a few subjects/day. We're working around the park days that our homeschool group has a couple times/week during the summer and adding in some art camps and vacation bible school for a couple of the kids. Anyway, here we go!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I have always done year round schooling with my kids, and I love it. We just keep plugging along until we feel like we need a break and we take a few days or a week off. Sometimes its because we were all sick, sometimes its for a holiday or vacation, or sometimes its because we can't keep up with the garden!

The best part is that I never have to go back in the fall and review last year's material. I never have kids complaining that they are bored all summer either. :LOL

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
We are starting first grade in July and are taking a few weeks off here in June. Yesterday Michael looked at me all panicky and said, Mama, we didn't do school today! Funny, since we never do school on Sundays, and we hadn't done school for two weeks. I wonder what we were doing that he thought was school? :LOL

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We have always ended up working into the summer because we're not "done," but every year hope that somehow we would be done by now. Last fall we were all ready to start early and the hurricanes interfered.
I wonder if the energy would be better if we intended to work through the summer, but I suspect not. I am really programmed for the summer off and since dh usually has most of the summer off it really irritates me. Many families here in FL work through the summer- the weather is so awful there's nothing else to do here anyway.
I am interested to hear how it goes for you, so please update us!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
We aren't there yet, since our oldest is only 2 1/2, but we do plan on homeschooling through the summer. I've already got a rough plan, since I'm an anal freak about these things.

We will spend 2 days at our homeschool coop, where the kids can do what they like, take whatever classes they want/hang out with everyone else, etc. 3 days a week will be spent in Charlotte Mason-style homeschooling (done before noon, afternoons free). One day a week will be used for field trips. one day will be unplanned, 'cause dh only gets one full day off a week.

I figure this is relaxed enough to go year-round without burn-out, yet still packed with enough learning opportunities to cover everything we will want to accomplish. And the coop doesn't meet in the summer, so there will be an additional 2 days a week during those months to do whatever we feel like doing.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We are working through the summer too. We took alot of time off when I had the baby in April, then we only work 4 days because dh is off on Fridays. The kids are ok with it. It is to darn hot here during the day and it is so boring inside. We are doing alot of reading right now, but I know they will get restless and want to do math in a couple of weeks, then we will switch to science etc. My kids really like to concentrate on one subject for days then move to another instead of doing several subjects in one day.

Kasey
In South TX

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're still truckin!
I got tons of inspiration and new ideas from our state homeschool conference last weekend. One of which was that the internet and chat rooms are time sucks. :LOL I just can't stay away. I am lonely without them!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
ekblad8, :LOL, I know that too! But I always come back. I do get a lot of good advice -- it's OK, I think, if I stick mostly to looking for something specific, and maybe doing my "hanging out" at places like this -- forums where maybe I might be able to help out, rather than in a place like, say, TAO.
:

I'm not sure how I'm going to schedule my time. We only "do kidschool" in the mornings anyway, and we don't usually do 5 days a week (though sometimes, ds wants to do it every day). We're not in a terribly hot part of the world, though it does get humid here, so I am trying to decide if maybe we should do afternoon school in the summer, morning in the winter, and take our time off during the nice weather in spring/fall. My oldest is 5.5, now, so I'm not so worried about having to figure it out *right now*. I think it makes sense to work through the summer if that's what you want to do.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
We're not there yet, but living in the desert, I fully intend to do more curricula/lessons/"schooling" type stuff in the summer, and be a bit more relaxed in the winter, since the weather pretty much leaves us stuck inside all day (unless we want to be total night owls or wake up at 3 or 4 AM to do stuff before it gets too too hot) anyway.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
You know it never even occured to me that home schoolers might take the summer off! I can see taking a week off but an entire summer? I did year round in high school and really liked it but was ready to go back to school after the 2nd week off. I figured I would just follow dd's lead on this but she seems to be the type that only needs 1-2 days off.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just thought it would be hard to do b/c most of the kid's friends are off for the summer. I thought my kids would be bummed to be doing schoolwork but they really don't care. They just tell their friends they can't play until the afternoon and that's that. We will also be juggling vacation Bible school for one dd and art camp for two of the kids so we'll see how that works out. The child(ren) going to the camps won't have to do schoolwork but we'll see what the "it's not fair" comments do to me. All of the kids were offered to go, though, and only one or two wanted to.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've just recently decided to homeschool my soon to be 5 year old, but we're starting now!

I figured why wait for fall? I talked to DS when making the decision to homeschool and he's excited about it right now so I figure "Strike the hammer while iron is hot."

I figure we'll take breaks when we need them..maybe a week here or two days there KWIM?

What I am wondering is how to handle the "Attendence Record" issue. My state requires I maintain an attendence record for my home schooling child, and that we basically follow the same schedule as the public school and have class on at least as many days as they do.

Frankly I'm tempted to just record our "off days" as "present and schooling" since I'm sure we'll be learning plenty on thoses...or at least as much as kids learn on movie and party days in school.

Any thoughts? How do those of you required to take attendence handle this?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
We homeschool year round as well. We all like it.

Me and my husband are both full time students so there are times during the regular school year (like finals) when I just don't have time to homeschool for a week or two. So we just go with the flow...take a week off here and there as needed and homeschool all year round.

For me, homeschooling is just a part of our life and so doing it all year round just seems natural.

For the summer we are mainly concentrating on reading and math. Me and my 7 year old just had a lazy hour in bed with her reading Amelia Bedilia to me and I read her some Goosebumps. It was nice.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyday is a school day and I would record it as such. Especially with a child as young as five years old.

Another great thing about this schooling is the summer is no sleepovers! The kids don't even ask to have anyone sleep over b/c they know "it's a school night"

·
Registered
154 Posts
We always work through the summer. Even when they went to institutional school, I supplemented in the summer.

We are finishing up their math, so we can start the new books in the fall. For reading we are doing a cool project called Literary Pockets. We just started a geography unit study using Around the World in Eighty Days. Add in tennis lessons for John and swimming lessons for Ian and Owen and there is our summer.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Well, gee, I guess I'm alone in this here, but, for what it's worth, my son was always busy and happy playing full time with his friends in the summer - that is, when we weren't on a vacation somewhere. He never ever did focused studies in the summer. There were times when I was going through one of my periodic anxiety attacks that I wished he didn't have so many friends available to play, because I wanted to do something "educational," but in the long run it didn't matter one bit.

I think play time and plenty of dreamy time to get bored and daydream is extremely valuable in the big picture of developing a love of learning and ability to figure things out. Even Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge. My son never lost out on anything - he excelled in the community college and is not off to a wonderful four year college. I'm only tossing this into the thread in case there's anyone reading all this and suddenly thinking it's ~necessary~ to do school during the summer. If it's what makes everyone happy, that's great, but it isn't a necessity.
Lillian

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Us too!! Us too!!

We love schooling year round, as each of us has a favorite season-and we don't all love the extreme summer heat. Taking a nature walk, plopping down and reading a book is a great educational,fun thing to do in the Fall. PLaying for hours in the snow,studying snow flakes, and shoveling snow is so valuable in learning/enforcing work ethics,generosity, and is awesome physical fitness!!
Planting and maintaining a flower/vege garden is science at it's best.

Right now, dd has vacation Bible camp AND swimteam. She leaves at nine AM, comes home to change in to her suit,comes back to change and eat, then back to VBC-VBC and SWim are all w/i a *very* close walking distance. She is soo exhausted right now, that I just have her do 1 page of math,30 mins of reading, and that is it.

When she just has swimteam(for a few more weeks), she gets up and plays outside or veges reading or watching tv. After swimteam,we do 30 mins math,20mins english, religion for 20mins, then she reads either a living history book or living science book for 30 mins. Everday is art day-we just finished having some friends over and they painted clay pots, then planted flowers. Her neighborhood friends love to come over and work loing division w/sidewalk chalk. (THey are a little older and keep my "know-it -all" on her toes :LOL ) She usually reads an extra 30mins of a chapter book she is working on.

We have a major clean up,then go swimming in the very late afternoon-4:30-6:30. It screws up summer bedtime, but if she gets to bed late, she'll sleep in, and what doesn't get done, is still there the next day.

I have to keep an attendance record also, but am not required to stick with the district's schedule. As long as we school for the required # of hours per school year, they don't care.

I am finding that a lot of "go to school kids" in our neighborhood aren't available during the day, as they are off to activities,camps,summer vacations. And a lot of our HS friends actually do the same. So having dd not be able to play until after 3:30 isn't a biggy.

I tweak our schedule so much all year round, and it seems to be good-as long as it fits our whole family.

Keep on,keeping on Ekblad8!!

mp

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J
my son was always busy and happy playing full time with his friends in the summer Lillian
My children's friends are no more available for weekday play during the summer then they are during the school year. I am one of only a handful of SAHMs with school-age children in our neighborhood (only 3 of us on my block). Daycare in the summer has a different name - daycamp. Most of the kids in our neighborhood go to the city's "daycamp" every day, every week of the summer.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NatureMommy
My children's friends are no more available for weekday play during the summer then they are during the school year. I am one of only a handful of SAHMs with school-age children in our neighborhood (only 3 of us on my block). Daycare in the summer has a different name - daycamp. Most of the kids in our neighborhood go to the city's "daycamp" every day, every week of the summer.
Wow. I don't think I'll ever get used to this phenomenon. I've always found it so strange to drive through suburban neighborhoods and not see any kids out playing. Part of it, of course, is because of TV and video games, but there's this whole other element to it. I guess we had it pretty good here. Some of the moms worked, but the were able to arrange their hours in such a way that a parent was always home with the kids. I guess that's becoming more of a luxury these days. I sympathize with young women wanting to have careers, and I realize some simply need to have jobs they're not even enjoying, but I do worry about this and following generations of kids living in a kind of limbo... - Lillian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts